Andvil's DVD Picks for March 28th

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Andvil

Andvil's DVD Picks for March 28th

Post by Andvil »

Andvil's DVD Picks for March 28th, 2006

There is a TON of stuff coming out this week.
I think this is the most stuff I've recommended in a single week since I've been doing this.
Better get started...

King Kong (2-disc Special Edition) (2005)
dir. Peter Jackson

This was one of my favorite movies of 2005, regardless of the many many flaws.
Any time that Kong is on screen more than makes up for it.
I'm really looking forward to watching this again, but unfortunately I do not have a movie theater in my house.
Ideally, that's how this movie should be watched. I think it was the only movie last year that I went saw in the theaters more than once.
It's just such an amazing movie to take in on the big screen.
I'm seriously gonna have to invest in a big-ass HDTV sometime soon.

Amazon.com's review:
Movies don't come any bigger than Peter Jackson's King Kong, a three-hour remake of the 1933 classic that marries breathtaking visual prowess with a surprising emotional depth. Expanding on the original story of the blonde beauty and the beast who falls for her, Jackson creates a movie spectacle that matches his Lord of the Rings films and even at times evokes their fantasy world while celebrating the glory of '30s Hollywood. Naomi Watts stars as Ann Darrow, a vaudeville actress down on her luck in Depression-era New York until manic filmmaker Carl Denham (a game but miscast Jack Black) entices her with a lead role. Dazzled by the genius of screenwriter Jack Driscoll (Adrien Brody), Ann boards the tramp steamer S.S. Venture, which she--and most of the wary crew--believes is headed for Singapore. Denham, however, is in search of the mythic Skull Island, hoping to capture its wonders on film and make a fortune. What he didn't count on were some scary natives who find that the comely Darrow looks like prime sacrifice material for a mysterious giant creature....
There's no point in rehashing the entire plot, as every movie aficionado is more than familiar with the trajectory of King Kong; the challenge facing Jackson, his screenwriters, and the phenomenal visual-effects team was to breathe new life into an old, familiar story. To that degree, they achieve what could be best called a qualified success. Though they've assembled a crackerjack supporting cast, including Thomas Kretschmann as the Venture's hard-bitten captain and young Jamie Bell as a plucky crewman, the first third of the movie is rather labored, with too much minute detail given over to sumptuous re-creations of '30s New York and the unexciting initial leg of the Venture's sea voyage. However, once the film finds its way to Skull Island (which bears more than a passing resemblance to LOTR's Mordor), Kong turns into a dazzling movie triumph, by turns terrifying and awe-inspiring. The choreography and execution of the action set pieces--including one involving Kong and a trio of Tyrannosaurus Rexes, as well as another that could be charitably described as a bug-phobic's nightmare--is nothing short of landmark filmmaking, and a certain Mr. Spielberg should watch his back, as Kong trumps most anything that has come before it.

Despite the visual challenges of King Kong, the movie's most difficult hurdle is the budding romance between Ann and her simian soulmate. Happily, this is where Jackson unqualifiedly triumphs, as this unorthodox love story is tenderly and humorously drawn, by turns sympathetic and wondrous. Watts, whose accessibility balances out her almost otherworldly loveliness, works wonders with mere glances, and Andy Serkis, who digitally embodies Kong here much as he did Gollum in the LOTR films, breathes vibrant life into the giant star of the film without ever overplaying any emotions. The final, tragic act of the film, set mostly atop the Empire State Building, is where Kong earns its place in movie history as a work that celebrates both the technical and emotional heights that film can reach.

• DVD Features:
    Available Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
    Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
    The Volkswagen Toureg & King Kong
    Wish You Were Here
    Disc 2
    Special Introduction by Peter Jackson
    Post-Production Diaries: Director Peter Jackson takes you on an unforgettable journey revealing virtually every aspect of post-production with nearly three hours of exclusive behind the scenes footage.
    Kong's New York, 1933 - 1930s New York comes alive in this fascinating piece that explores vaudeville, the skyscraper boom, the construction of the Empire State building and more.
    Skull Island: A Natural History - Travel to treacherous Skull Island with Peter Jackson and his crew

The Planet of the Apes - The Ultimate DVD Collection (1968-2001)
dir. Franklin J. Schaffner, Tim Burton, etc.

I mean, I like the O.G. Planet of the Apes and everything, but GOD DAMN.
This is absolute OVERKILL.
It's about $140, but seriously, for the amount of stuff included, that seems like a good deal.
Especially for the cheesy/awesome ape head packaging.
But who wants the Planet of the Apes TV show AND Cartoon?
Both of those are included, and so is the Tim Burton remake of the original.
Tim Roth is the only reason that movie is even watchable.
Cool set, but you're weird if you like Planet of the Apes this much.

Amazon.com's review:
While provoking neither the decades of spin-offs of the Star Trek franchise or the cultural staying power of the Star Wars universe, Planet of the Apes nonetheless lives in the hearts of many a Sunday afternoon TV-watcher. A high water mark for prosthetic movie magic, this primate-vs-man epic--spanning four movies, a TV series, and an animated series--was as integral to the 1970s as Led Zeppelin or muscle cars. So how to properly pay tribute to a science fiction franchise about intelligent apes roaming a post-apocalyptic earth?
In a freaking ape head boxed set, man.

It's true. 20th Century Fox packaged the entire run--movies, TV series, animated series, and the 2001 Tim Burton remake--in Cornelius's head. Actually, the 14 discs are efficiently packaged in a fold-out book that slides into the bust's back. The bust is smartly dressed in green canvas, with zippers that don't actually lead to pockets. The hair is a luxurious mane that could have been wasted on at least three toupes. Put this masterpiece of DVD packaging on a shelf and watch it catch the gaze of everyone who walks into the room. Unfortunately, the set does not come with any supplemental reading material; an essay or two on the impact of Planet of the Apes would have been nice. The set is limited to 10,000 copies and comes with a numbered certificate of authenticity. For those who don't want to commit to the full ape head experience, the discs in this set can be had in the Planet of the Apes Legacy Boxset

• DVD Features:
    Disc 1 includes:
    *2-Disc version of Planet of the Apes Anniversary DVD
    *Anamorphic Widescreen with Dolby Surround 5.1 - THX Certified and DTS
    *Disc 1 includes: Commentary by Composer Jerry Goldsmith and Commentary by Actors Roddy Mc Dowell, Natalie Trundy, Kim Hunter, Make-up Artist John Chambers & Text Commentary by Eric Greene, Author of "Planet of the Apes as American Myth"
    Disc 2 "BONUS DISC" includes:
    *Behind the Planet of the Apes Documentary 126 minutes
    *Behind the Planet of the Apes Promo (1998)
    *Planet of the Apes Makeup Test with Edward G. Robinson (1966) *Roddy McDowall Home Movies approx. 20 minutes
    *Planet of the Apes Dailies and Outtakes (no audio)
    *Planet of the Apes (1967 N.A.T.O. Presentation)
    *Planet of the Apes Featurette (1968)
    *A Look Behind the Planet of the Apes (1972)
    *Don Taylor Directs Escape from the Planet of the Apes
    *J. Lee Thompson Directs Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
    *Publicity: Original Theatrical Trailers, Planet of the Apes Teaser Trailer, Planet of the Apes Trailer, Beneath the Planet of the Apes Trailer, Escape from the Planet of the Apes Trailer, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes Trailer, & Battle for the Planet of the Apes Trailer
    *Film Reviews (1968) 34 stills
    *Theatrical Posters 7 static images with 28 seconds audio
    *Galleries: Original Sketches by Costume Designer Morton Haack 9 stills with 36 second audio & Photo Gallery 17 stills
    Disc 3 includes:
    *Beneath the Planet of the Apes Single Disc
    *Remastered to include Anamorphic Widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - THX certified and includes Dolby Surround
    *Special Features include: Cast Page, Trailers for: Planet of the Apes 1968 and 2001, Escape from the planet of the Apes,
    Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, Battle for the Planet of the Apes, Planet of the Apes Cross-Promo Trailers, Theatrical Trailer,
    Behind the Scenes Photo Gallery and Web link.
    Disc 4 includes:
    *Escape from the Planet of the Apes Single Disc
    *Remastered to include Anamorphic Widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - THX certified
    *Special Features include: Cast Page, Trailers for: Planet of the Apes 1968 and 2001, Beneath the planet of the Apes, Conquest
    of the Planet of the Apes, Battle for the Planet of the Apes, Planet of the Apes Cross-Promo Trailers, Theatrical Trailer,
    Don Taylor Directs Escape from Planet of the Apes and Web link.
    Disc 5 includes:
    *Conquest for The Planet of the Apes Single Disc
    *Remastered to include Anamorphic Widescreenand Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - THX certified, Dolby Surround
    *Special Features include: Cast Page, Trailers for: Planet of the Apes 1968 and 2001, Beneath the planet of the Apes, Escape
    from the Planet of the Apes, Battle for the Planet of the Apes, Planet of the Apes Cross-Promo Trailers, Theatrical Trailer,
    J. Lee Directs Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and Web link.
    Disc 6 includes:
    *Battle for The Planet of the Apes (Extended Version) never-before-released on DVD
    *Remasters to include Anamorphic Widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - THX certified, Dolby Surround
    *Special Features include: Cast Page, Trailers for: Planet of the Apes 1968 and 2001, Beneath the planet of the Apes, Conquest
    of the Planet of the Apes, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, Planet of the Apes Cross-Promo Trailers, Theatrical Trailer,
    Fox Interactive Presents: Behind the Scenes of the Planet of the Apes Game & ROM Content - Self Contained Web Site.
    Disc 7 includes:
    *Disc 1 of TV Series has 4 Episodes: B-503 Escape from Tomorrow, B-502 The Gladiators, B-505 The Trap and B-501 The Good Seeds.
    *TV Spots
    *Still Photos
    Disc 8 includes:
    *Disc 2 of TV Series has 4 Episodes: B-504 The Legacy, B-508 Tomorrow's Tide, B-509 The Surgeon and B-510 The Dragoons.
    *TV Spots
    *Still Photos
    Disc 9 includes:
    *Disc 3 of TV Series - 4 Episodes: B-511 The Horse Ride, B-512 The Interrogation, B-513 The Tyrant and B-506 The Cure.
    *TV Spots
    *Still Photos
    Disc 10 includes:
    *Disc 4 of TV Series - 2 Episodes B-507 The Liberator and B-514 Up Above the World So High.
    *TV Spots
    *Still Photos
    **Note: This is the only DVD-5 in the set**
    Disc 11 includes:
    *Animated TV DVD: Return to the Planet of the Apes (1975) - Component number: 2233823 (Not for sale)
    *Disc 1 of Animated TV Series - 7 Episodes: DFE01 Flames of Doom, DFE02 Escape From Ape City, DFE05 Lagoon of Peril, DFE04 Tunnel of Fear, DFE03 The Unearthly Prophecy, DFE08, Screaming Wings and DFE09 Trail to the Unknown.
    Disc 12 includes:
    *Disc 2 of Animated TV Series - 6 Episodes: DFE10 Attack from the Clouds, DFE11 Mission of Mercy, DFE12 Invasion of the Underdwellers, DFE13 Battle of the Titans, DFE06 Terror on Ice Mountain and DFE07 River of Flames.
    Disc 13 includes:
    *2-Disc version of Planet of the Apes (2001) DVD
    *Disc 1: Enhanced Viewing Mode (interactive versions includes behind the scenes on make-up, special effects, cast/crew, shooting on location), commentary by Tim Burton, Danny Elfman, Tom Rothman, Richard Zanuck, & cast/crew bios.
    Disc 14 "BONUS DISC" includes:
    *Disc 2 of Planet of the Apes '01: 23 featurettes, 6 documentaries - "Apes School", "Make-Up Testing", "Costume Testing", "Shooting on Location", "Scoring the Film" and " Ape Movement", 8 interactive multi-angle sequences that "Put you in the Director's Chair", 4 quadangle/4 way audio split vignettes of make-up testing, Apes reactive testing, costume testing, Apes movement/stunt testing, 5 extended scenes, HBO "The Making of" Special, TV spots, Trailers and a music video.

Memoirs of a Geisha (2-disc Special Edition) (2005)
dir. Rob Marshall

Eh. That "Nominated for 6 Academy Awards" on the box can be a bit decieving, considering they were awards for things like make-up and costumes.
I will say, I'd be kind of interested to see it because of the cinematography.
But only if I managed to catch it on HBO or something.
I love Ziyi Zhang, but I cant stand listening to her talk in English for 2 minutes, let alone 2 hours.
Why they didnt make this movie in their native language is beyond me.
Well, actually it was probably just to pander to American audiences. But that didnt seem to help much.

Amazon.com's review:
Chicago director Rob Marshall's pretty but empty (or pretty empty) film has all the elements of an Oscar

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

these are always awesome. Thanks, andvil

No homo
Hoody Shankz

Post by No homo »

damn, robot chicken's FINALLY coming out?!?! yes! too bad i got to wait til friday to get it.

Dan

Post by Dan »

I'm only interested in this:

New York Mets: 1986 World Series - 9 DVD set

All the twists, turns, failings and redemptions of the 1986 World Series are preserved forever with this remarkable, one-of-a-kind DVD collection. Eight complete game broadcasts--more than 20 hours of the magic of the AMAZIN' METS championship team are included. From the marathon 16-inning, pennant-clinching victory in Houston to the gutsy World Series games victories in Fenway Park, right through to the miraculous Game 6...and to the team's last valiant, fantastic comeback in Game 7--all the plays, the dramatic moments, and joy of the Mets remarkable 1986 Fall Classic are here.

DVD Features:

Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0)
1986 World Series Clubhouse Victory Celebration
Official Trophy Presentation; Post-game interviews
1987 Ring Ceremony and Championship Banner Unveiling
Exclusive Interviews - Mookie Wilson, Gary Carter, Ray Knight, Keith Hernandez, Kevin Mitchell, Lenny Dykstra, Bill Buckner, Bill Robinson
Special Game Footage - Mets Clinching National League Eastern Division, Dykstra's game-winning, walk-off homer NLCS Game 3, Carter's game-winner NLCS Game 5

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

how much is that Kong disc set going to be?

tomorrow is going to be an awesome day.

:ghostface:

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

Dango727 wrote:I'm only interested in this:

New York Mets: 1986 World Series - 9 DVD set

All the twists, turns, failings and redemptions of the 1986 World Series are preserved forever with this remarkable, one-of-a-kind DVD collection. Eight complete game broadcasts--more than 20 hours of the magic of the AMAZIN' METS championship team are included. From the marathon 16-inning, pennant-clinching victory in Houston to the gutsy World Series games victories in Fenway Park, right through to the miraculous Game 6...and to the team's last valiant, fantastic comeback in Game 7--all the plays, the dramatic moments, and joy of the Mets remarkable 1986 Fall Classic are here.

DVD Features:

Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0)
1986 World Series Clubhouse Victory Celebration
Official Trophy Presentation; Post-game interviews
1987 Ring Ceremony and Championship Banner Unveiling
Exclusive Interviews - Mookie Wilson, Gary Carter, Ray Knight, Keith Hernandez, Kevin Mitchell, Lenny Dykstra, Bill Buckner, Bill Robinson
Special Game Footage - Mets Clinching National League Eastern Division, Dykstra's game-winning, walk-off homer NLCS Game 3, Carter's game-winner NLCS Game 5
:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

Don't Deliver Us From Evil looks like a must-own

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Damn that Mets DVD is $89.95 or $62.99 on Amazon.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

Picking up King Kong, Ghostface and TI today. :grin:

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

HopeLess wrote:Picking up Ghostface and TI today. :grin:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

missed one NOShame:

I got this one last night, watched half of it so far. The best police procedural from italy or anywhere else i've seen in a long long long time, better than the similar La Scorta which came out on Blue Underground two weeks or so ago. Nobody is reinventing the wheel here plotwise, but the director manages to suck you into the story and keep you very involved, the level of tension is very high. Minor drawback, the first half wasn't as violent as the box and reviews promised, i'm guessing that comes in part 2. I actually can't wait to go back home and watch the rest, and that doesn't happend often. On a minor sidenote, this got much better reviews than the other NoShame release this week.

Synopsys:

In this violent action thriller, Kim Rossi-Stuart (THE NAME OF THE ROSE) and Dino Abbrescia (I'M NOT SCARED) are detectives on the trail of a criminal gang perpetrating terrorist attacks along the Rimini coast and getting away each time in a white Fiat Uno. When pursuit of the gang ends in the death of their superior officer, the detectives go beyond the law to bring the killers to justice
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

whoa.. i want about 7 things off this list...

the planet of the apes set is bananas !
:ironmike:

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

expensive day today.....picking up:

includes the complete game broadcasts of the final road wins against the Boston Red Sox, the Los Angeles Angels, and all four dramatic victories over the Houston Astros--
:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

and dropping $250 on some Wrestlemania tickets.

oh well...

Dan

Post by Dan »

Philaflava wrote:Damn that Mets DVD is $89.95 or $62.99 on Amazon.
Or $53.97 with free shipping at Deep Discount DVD. I bought it for my brother for his birthday and am getting one for myself.

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

Dango727 wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Damn that Mets DVD is $89.95 or $62.99 on Amazon.
Or $53.97 with free shipping at Deep Discount DVD. I bought it for my brother for his birthday and am getting one for myself.
Good lookin Dango....order has been placed!

This is fucking CLASSIC!!!!

Mookie, Lenny, D Straw, Dwight, Teufel Shuffel, Buckner, etc...

Damn...can't wait to get this!

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i think Andvil avoided this on purpose, but this also came out today:

IMDB's 33 worst movie of all time, with a searing score of 2.5/10
drumroll please............

i have a feeling this will become a cable classic like state property

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

did skip that on purpose.

genuinely missed the other NoShame release, though. Thanks for posting that

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

anyone know what this is all about?

Product Description
We followed Ghostface, along with his crew of the Theodore Unit, across the country to get a glimpse into the life on tour of one of the biggest stars in hip-hop. Everything from thrilling shows, candid backstage moments, and exclusive interviews make this a DVD that any Ghostface fan should not live without. Ghostface is joined by his fellow Wu-Tang member Master Killa, as well as Trife Da God, Du Lilz, Solomon Childs, Wigs and more! After filming six different shows in six different venues, we took the greatest moments of each to make the single greatest Ghostface performance ever seen. Experience a backstage pass with the greatest lyricist of all time!

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Philaflava wrote:anyone know what this is all about?

Product Description
We followed Ghostface, along with his crew of the Theodore Unit, across the country to get a glimpse into the life on tour of one of the biggest stars in hip-hop. Everything from thrilling shows, candid backstage moments, and exclusive interviews make this a DVD that any Ghostface fan should not live without. Ghostface is joined by his fellow Wu-Tang member Master Killa, as well as Trife Da God, Du Lilz, Solomon Childs, Wigs and more! After filming six different shows in six different venues, we took the greatest moments of each to make the single greatest Ghostface performance ever seen. Experience a backstage pass with the greatest lyricist of all time!
:ohsh: , :wutang: , :grin: did you just randomly find it on amazon?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I was looking up shit on the Fishscale album and it appeared. Heaven sent you could say.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

this is now priority, i will use the power of the intenets to find more info

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Ok so this thing is a ghost, pun fully intended. The only listing for it exists on amazon, listed as VHS out of stock. There is no production company listed, only a name Grant Kahler. There is no trace of Grant kahler anywhere else, in connection to this or anything else.

I checked ebay and half.com, there's no mention there. It is not sold on any hiphop sites. In fact, the only other place that has any reference to it is the Borders site, which send you back to the amazon listing.

The last hope i'd say would be to fat beats, but the site is down. ummm.... Symantics to thread i guess

THE GOLDEN STRING

Post by THE GOLDEN STRING »

I LOST MY JON STAMOS

FIREMAN-THAT SURE IS A GOOD LOOKING JON STAMOS

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

this show is really funny. plus it has a whole bunch of really hot korean girls, plus it has nun-chucks. what more could you ask for in a movie.

Kalistoga

Post by Kalistoga »

Does anyone remember a SNL/MADtv type sketch show that used Plymtoons in between sketches? I don't think the show lasted long. The only sketch I remember was one about a family called the SWAT family. Also, something would always happen to the cast at the end of the show (ie. they all get shot by arrows)...