Forbes Top 10 Earning Comedians 2008

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:And as for the bits at the beginning of the show, I'm pretty sure very few if any were actually written by Seinfeld.
pretty bad bet
that's the entire concept of the show.. seinfeld's standup bits fleshed out by seinfeld & david into full-fledged situation comedy

Dap

Post by Dap »

george carlin's old standup >>> anything i've seen recently

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

ackbar wrote:
battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:And as for the bits at the beginning of the show, I'm pretty sure very few if any were actually written by Seinfeld.
pretty bad bet
that's the entire concept of the show.. seinfeld's standup bits fleshed out by seinfeld & david into full-fledged situation comedy
But on the season 6 DVD he mentions he didn't write the introductory standup bits and the commentary indicates which writers did.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:
ackbar wrote:
pretty bad bet
But on the season 6 DVD he mentions he didn't write the introductory standup bits and the commentary indicates which writers did.
really? that's surprising

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Fuck all of that, Chris Rock at his best is the funniest stand up comedian of all-time.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Magneto wrote:Fuck all of that, Eddie Murphy at his best is the funniest stand up comedian of all-time.
moved by duck muscles

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

ackbar wrote:
Icesickle wrote:
ackbar wrote:and although i'm sure his standup would be dated as fuck right now, he's done less shitty stuff than chris rock
When you say "shitty stuff" you're talking about his general output, not his standup, right?
lots of bad movies
i always liked his movies cos even tho they're bad, you still laugh

Kelron

Post by Kelron »

Were not talking about who's funniest, it's about who's making the most cake. All that applies is good marketing andmanagement. Dane Cook = not funny. Chris Rock has his stand up written by Wanda Sykes and others so he's just the front man, but his delivery is gold and his reach is almost Oprah status...almost. Larry is a redneck hick so he speaks to 85% of white america: Lowest Common Denominator. Russel Peters is probably the true hustler out the bunch cause he lives WELL off stand up and DVD sales alone...no TV , movies, or sponsors.
"the plot thickens like the Dickens giving whoopins and lickins when you're not looking"

weekdaywarrior

Post by weekdaywarrior »

Dane Cook is terrible..

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Kelron wrote:Chris Rock has his stand up written by Wanda Sykes and others so he's just the front man
i don't doubt chris rock has had other people write for him (though i've never heard that before).. but to assume he didn't write any of his act for a hbo special is kind of a leap. chris rock is obviously a writer himself

Lance Goodthrust

Post by Lance Goodthrust »

ackbar wrote:
Kelron wrote:Chris Rock has his stand up written by Wanda Sykes and others so he's just the front man
i don't doubt chris rock has had other people write for him (though i've never heard that before).. but to assume he didn't write any of his act for a hbo special is kind of a leap. chris rock is obviously a writer himself
I would say most stand ups have a certain amount of material written for them. Chappelle's writing partner Neil Brennan did more than the TV show. As for Chris Rock, Nick Dipaolo was on Stern in the past and said before one of his HBO specials Rock would fly out a group of comedians to watch his set and essentially "punch up" the material. From the way he tells it Rock already has the majority of the set down, he just gets suggestions on add ons or alternatives to the jokes.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

The dude from Bobbys World???????????????????????????????????????

:naswtf:

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Lance Goodthrust wrote:I would say most stand ups have a certain amount of material written for them. Chappelle's writing partner Neil Brennan did more than the TV show. As for Chris Rock, Nick Dipaolo was on Stern in the past and said before one of his HBO specials Rock would fly out a group of comedians to watch his set and essentially "punch up" the material. From the way he tells it Rock already has the majority of the set down, he just gets suggestions on add ons or alternatives to the jokes.
most good stand ups? hell no. all good stand ups write their own material

punching up or workshopping material is completely different than having someone co-write your material & of course tv shows are a different thing. they employ a writing staff for exactly that purpose

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

ackbar wrote:
not to mention wanda sykes isn't funny

Lance Goodthrust

Post by Lance Goodthrust »

ackbar wrote:
Lance Goodthrust wrote:I would say most stand ups have a certain amount of material written for them. Chappelle's writing partner Neil Brennan did more than the TV show. As for Chris Rock, Nick Dipaolo was on Stern in the past and said before one of his HBO specials Rock would fly out a group of comedians to watch his set and essentially "punch up" the material. From the way he tells it Rock already has the majority of the set down, he just gets suggestions on add ons or alternatives to the jokes.
most good stand ups? hell no. all good stand ups write their own material

punching up or workshopping material is completely different than having someone co-write your material & of course tv shows are a different thing. they employ a writing staff for exactly that purpose
When I wrote HBO specials I was referring to his stand up shows, not the sketch/interview show. From all that I have ever heard, having some material written for you is pretty common. For instance, take Paul Mooney who wrote for Pryor. Here is a piece from the AV Club on him. "A chance meeting with Pryor irrevocably shaped Mooney's career; he began writing for Pryor, in a fruitful partnership that led to classic comedy albums, performance films, and the Pryor-directed autobiographical drama JoJo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling. Doing a google search finds references to him writing on Live on the Sunset Strip, Bicentennial Nigger and Is It Something I Said.

Saying most comedians might have been an overstatement, but this is far more common than you think.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/paul-mooney,14071/

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

but pryor didn't just straight up perform material that mooney wrote for him.. they worked together. it's a little different