Going to Concerts with Your Woman

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Money Gripp wrote:I once endured almost a full hour of Lisa Loeb
How can that be? I thought she only had one song.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

^^^forty five minutes of it was a yodel jam session with her boyfriend dweezil zappa.

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

Philaflava wrote:she thinks doom is stupid.
Sounds like a keeper to me.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Ha ha ha - Money Gripp is on point. But then again, Lightning Bolt, Cas? What did you expect??

I've been to a very limited number of shows with my girlfriend. We've just come to the conclusion that its something I do with my friends, and she does with hers. Occassionally theres something we'll both go too.

One really problematic thing for me is getting really nice emails from her friends saying "Oh, Leah says you like going to gigs, we've got tickets to see Hard Fi/Franz Ferdinand/The Killers etc etc, we'd love you to come along!". Its all very well being a music snob on here, but telling her friends that they like shit music is very, very awkward. I usually just say i'm busy. :oops:

TyTaylorFromRockStar:Inxs
Location: "..I feel like a little white girl. I feel fat" - Bun B

Post by TyTaylorFromRockStar:Inxs »

It's okay, though. She once had to listen to Sleep's doom-metal masterpiece "Jerusalem" front to back while we were driving back home.
Alas, it's a shame that girls don't tend to like albums consisting of one tumultuously heavy, 50 minute song built on a solitary and continuous pummelling-sludge-rock riff, isn't it..?

I can't top the extremity of making a girl listen to "jerusalem" on a road-trip where there's literally no escape from it's monotone brutality. Who can..? That's next-level and ruthless. For me it's gotta be an old homemade mix of Infest, No Comment, Neanderthal, Man Is The Bastard, Crossed Out etc and the Anal Cunt "morbid florist" cd which i'd play a lot when driving. "What the fuck is this shit..?", "god, this is giving me a headache", "please turn this noisy crap off or i'll get out and walk" were the usual responses.

"Jane doe" by Converge doesn't go down too well with the lady 'cause i've been bumping that solid since it came out in '01. To her it's just screaming noise. To me it's exploring the possibilities of texture and elegant beauty in blistering metallic-hardcore; a dense, heterogeneous, aggressive and indefatigable wall of sound which somehow manages to sound both human and organic. The hardcore "loveless" if you will. Ditto '04's "you fail me".

Worst i've had to endure would be Gwen Stefani, trance music (possibly the worst genre of music ever created), Alanis Morisette, Bjork (i know some of you guys here like her but a yelping eskimo pixie over coffeetable techno-pop..?), 4 Non Blondes and the soundtrack to Friends which includes that hideous theme song and cack like Bare Naked Ladies and Hootie & The Blowfish.

tpp

Post by tpp »

great thread.

If a girl says they like a good band they are probably just trying to look cool.

Me and some friends once took a girl to see Cryptopsy, a death metal band. She agreed to come as a joke and didn't know how to back out when she got bought a ticket. She left after about 40 minutes with a mouthful of greasy curly long metaller hair. In all fairness the gig was one of the worst I've ever been to and we left with her (but obviously pretended she had ruined our night)

My girlfriend listens to your standard girl music. I think its best that way. I couldn't stand to be with a girl who pretended she liked the same music as me.

"Yeah I do like Too $hort but only his older stuff you know"

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

tpp wrote:great thread.

If a girl says they like a good band they are probably just trying to look cool.
Are you fucking kidding me?

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

My fiance loves Too Short, but she's from the bay so it's kind of expected. I don't have anything to add really, except that on October 20th my fiance is going to see Gwen Stefani and The Black Eyed Peas, whie I will be attending the Lyrics Born concert with my friends on that very same evening. This is how it should be.

And yeah, Cas: Lightning Bolt? You're smarter than that.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

my ex-girlfriend was the concert i went to with her.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Hahahahahaha. Now that I think about it - making her listen to Jersualem all the way through was a little bit sadistic. :rickjames:

But fuckin Lisa Loeb, man... *shudders*

Tariq's Dilemma

Post by Tariq's Dilemma »

cascarrabias wrote:I bet SYMantiks participated in his share of those.
Last one I knew was a solo piece he did which was just poorin his heart out in to a mic, much like he does here.

He had a STACK of papers and he just kept goin on and ON until people started to boo him.

Sym, that lil emo-go-getter he is though, just kept on sloggin his 25 minute glob piece amidst all the boo's raining down.

It was a stunning performance to say the least.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Yeah, I think the problem is that you took your girl to a crappy show, carriscariabbiassiss.

I took my ex-girl to hip-hop shows, and then she got more into going to shows than me. She was into the social aspect, though. To be honest, she's a terrible audience member, all heckling and standing rigidly still.

Masked Terror #1

Reggie wrote:heckling and standing rigidly still.
Like dealing with that in the bedroom isn't enough for you to handle.

Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Nah, she would go pretty limp after the third closed-fist punch.

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

Reggie wrote: I took my ex-girl to hip-hop shows, and then she got more into going to shows than me. She was into the social aspect, though. To be honest, she's a terrible audience member, all heckling and standing rigidly still.
You should have taken her to see Elton John mang.

My girl and I don't agree on music. She was nice enough to sit through Doom with me. She also digs Rob Sonic. That's about it though since she is into like old punk, psychobilly, and rockabilly. I always tell her I don't really need to see the fat rockasilly girls. The last time I was forced to go to one of the deals, I ended up watching the basketball game at the bar, shootin the shit with some ex marine guy who couldn't get into the "pussy" music.

Masked Terror #1

b0mbs_of_death wrote:fat rockasilly girls
:jiz:

Reggie

Post by Reggie »

I was always down to go to whatever concert she said. She would threaten me, like "I'll go to see X, but then you have to come with me to see Y." But we never saw Y. We never even saw W.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Reggie wrote:I was always down to go to whatever concert she said. She would threaten me, like "I'll go to see X, but then you have to come with me to see Y." But we never saw Y. We never even saw W.
Oh rilly

SYM

Post by SYM »

congrats, sleuth!
Last edited by SYM on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

SYMantiks wrote:
Tariq's Dilemma wrote:
cascarrabias wrote:I bet SYMantiks participated in his share of those.
Last one I knew was a solo piece he did which was just poorin his heart out in to a mic, much like he does here.

He had a STACK of papers and he just kept goin on and ON until people started to boo him.

Sym, that lil emo-go-getter he is though, just kept on sloggin his 25 minute glob piece amidst all the boo's raining down.

It was a stunning performance to say the least.
If we are thinking of the same performance, the one at Wownet, then allow me to elaborate, Tim.

It was actually five minutes to be exact, first of all. That was during a hard time in my life, when my sister got in trouble with the police for the first time and my father almost got arrested after getting into a physical altercation with my sister. He ended up getting simply a restraining order.

I barely ever perform my poetry for my own personal reasons. When something in my life such as that affects my mood, I can't help but let it out publicly. I'm influenced by Altruistic, my friend Brandon who graduated before us a few years back, and Bora Yoon (another IC grad). To be able to get up in front of everyone and read that shit, in my eyes, took guts. Performing monologues in acting classes is one thing, but my own poetry is something else entirely.

And one person booed me, not multiple.
You're way too emotional, guy.

SYM

Post by SYM »

congrats, sleuth!
Last edited by SYM on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

SYMantiks wrote:Maybe so, but if it's pressing on a topic that really meant something to me, how else am I supposed to act? I'm not going to just supress feelings cause I'm typing them on a messageboard. Honesty is the best reward.
Talk to your friends, you fuckin' weirdo. You think yappin' for five pages to hundreds of people you've never met -- hundreds of people who don't care if you take another breath in this world -- is the best answer?

Man, you need to get together with Reason and form a super emo suicide club or something.

SYM

Post by SYM »

congrats, sleuth!
Last edited by SYM on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

SYMantiks wrote:I'm just... a normal poster
Impossible

Man, you need to get together with Reason and form a super emo suicide club or something.

SYM

Post by SYM »

congrats, sleuth!
Last edited by SYM on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

SYMantiks wrote:Reason might commit suicide since he's all into the hard drugs but me ay'm sooper sXe 4 lyfe maaaang
Good talk.

Noah

Post by Noah »

Here is a little story that was not a girlfriend but still a woman at a show

I met up with a friend when I went to see Death From Above 1979 in Philadelphia, and he had this bitch from Canada with him. She basically looked like MC Paul Barman with A-cup breasts, and she was pound for pound the most vulgar person I have ever met. She bitched, the entire time, told a story about "swallowing huge loads," talked about how the show promoter had sucked more artists' dicks than anyone in the city or some such statement, said her ears hurt after the relatively tame opening acts, and then just fucking left before DFA79

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Noah wrote:Here is a little story that was not a girlfriend but still a woman at a show

I met up with a friend when I went to see Death From Above 1979 in Philadelphia, and he had this bitch from Canada with him. She basically looked like MC Paul Barman with A-cup breasts, and she was pound for pound the most vulgar person I have ever met. She bitched, the entire time, told a story about "swallowing huge loads," talked about how the show promoter had sucked more artists' dicks than anyone in the city or some such statement, said her ears hurt after the relatively tame opening acts, and then just fucking left before DFA79
Good story. At least she left, though; right?

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

awesome typing fellas

November 6th live at Wachovia Center: Gwen Stefani ft. Black Eyed Peas

or

November 6th live at Fed Ex Field: Redskins vs. Eagles

:killacam:

WE have tickets to both

it will be a battle for the ages

Noah

Post by Noah »

Cleanhobo wrote:
Noah wrote:Here is a little story that was not a girlfriend but still a woman at a show

Good story. At least she left, though; right?
Yeah I'm glad she left

Apparently she only went because she assumed she would like them because they were all Canadian acts and she was intrigued by that