What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead- That was fun. Odd sure, but that was expected. Ran a lil long and I didn't care about Jimmy the Saint, or his bar slut in any semblance of the way I should have. But Chris Lloyd. Buschemi. Walken as a mobb boss again, only crippled this time. The psycho dude that beats up bodies at the mortuary. Young Cheadle showing up at funny g's table unexpectedly. My only wish was that there was someone, ANYONE, playing the lead other than Andy Garcia. Sweet Jesus, how I loathe that schmuck. Call it 7/10.

Oh, and watched Juno again too with the chick. And I fell asleep, again. This flick needed WAYYYY more Dwight. Maybe I only say that cuz I can't seem to stay awake much longer than the first scene.

PEACE

None

Post by None »

I'm Not There- Solid flick, Cate Blanchett was great and David Cross has a giant beard.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Taken 9/10

Perfect action movie. Neeson does better than Bond and Bourne as a spy and it's dripping with Luc Besson (who wrote it) influence everywhere. It has a really eerie feeling that works well and the action sequences are flawless.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

The Hammer - i could've sworn there was a thread on this before. Very formulaic to the underdog sports comedy template, but Corolla is engaging, supporting cast is pretty good (ozzy is the man), there are tons of good jokes and it's so short you don't really have time to think anything bad about it. Plus it's cool to see Corolla actually do the boxing shit. Solid light entertainment
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

Kung Fu Panda- Copped this when it dropped, along with the bonus Furious Five movie, a free dvd with extras and a small, complimentary Po figurine at Best Buy. Fucking AWESOME. I didn't get to see it in theaters, but wanted to. Jack Black rules. And other than underusing Jackie Chan, I couldn't have asked for more really. great voice work all around. So many throwbacks to Kung Fu films...great action, great story...The animation was beautiful. Amazes me that Dreamworks can do something so dope and then release garbage like Madgascar and Shrek 3.

Hellboy 2- Probably, overall, my favorite film of 2008. I liked it more than Iron man and Hulk, and just as much as The Dark Knight. This is like the 3rd time I have seen it since it was in the theaters ,and it gets better every time to me. Like I said before, after seeing the Troll Market, they should just let Del Toro direct any and all Star Wars films from now on...And if this is any indication of him getting warmed up for the Hobbit, he is going to KILL shit. Great cast, great effects. Great movie.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

hopeless did you watch that second movie that comes in the kung fu panda set? is it any good?

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

drizzle wrote:hopeless did you watch that second movie that comes in the kung fu panda set? is it any good?
Not yet, but I am planning on that tonight. Will report back as soon as I do.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Le Samorai - Now this is a great film. I wasn't sold on Melville when I saw his movie about the French resistance, but this film is awesome. The cinematography, the color schemes, the wipe edits...everything made you feel like you were in the hands of a master. I wish I saw this before Ghost Dog so I could get all the homages in that film.

I'm gonna check out some of his other stuff. What should I see next?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

you didn't like army of shadows? boo this man

Melville's next best noir is Le Circle Rouge imo, so watch that

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

drizzle wrote:you didn't like army of shadows? boo this man

Melville's next best noir is Le Circle Rouge imo, so watch that
It's not that I didn't like it, it's just that people were building it up to be one of the best movies ever and it didn't live up to the hype. Le Samorai...now that's a movie that deserves to be mentioned in top 20 discussions.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

idk, i love both and Le Samourai is technically perfect, but it's also very cold. I feel like in Army of Shadows Melville uses the same cinematic techniques that are the trademark of his best noirs, but by adding an emotional element that is incredibly genuine (AOS is based on his own experiences in le risistance) yet very nuanced and brutaly honest he comes up with something superior. Also, Delon's aura of detached constipation is perfect for the purposes of Le Samourai, but its hard to call it great acting when compared to what Ventura and Simone Signoret do in AOS.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Kung Fu Panda is so awesome.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the dumpling fight had me in tears of joy last night, i'm not even joking

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Squidoosh.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

Seriously.

The opening scene was bonkers.

And when the came back to try to throw the shuriken one more time :rofl:

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

drizzle wrote:Le Samourai is technically perfect, but it's also very cold.
which is why i care not for it
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Mosquito Coast- "Ice is civilization. That's why we came!" Excellence. Top-notch smug douchebaggery by Han Solo here, who wastes no time making up excuses for arrogance. And it pays off well. Pheonix as his son is too perfect. Helen Mirren is sexy as all fuck. The imperialism clash between science/religion is done well, a lil over the top, especially considering the end, but the overall feel of the film makes up for it. The comparisons between this and Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse are obvious mostly because of the narration and the natives, but I found it great regardless. Weir is an animal.

8.5/10

PEACE

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

drizzle wrote:idk, i love both and Le Samourai is technically perfect, but it's also very cold. I feel like in Army of Shadows Melville uses the same cinematic techniques that are the trademark of his best noirs, but by adding an emotional element that is incredibly genuine (AOS is based on his own experiences in le risistance) yet very nuanced and brutaly honest he comes up with something superior. Also, Delon's aura of detached constipation is perfect for the purposes of Le Samourai, but its hard to call it great acting when compared to what Ventura and Simone Signoret do in AOS.

ka-ching!

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Playing catch-up. Some movies I've watched during the last few days.

Perverella - Low budget cult Brit flick by Alex Chandon before he went all goth scum. Very cool movie.

Asylum - Great anthological horror from Amicus' past. Nowhere near as great as From Beyond The Grave.

Dragon Tiger Gate - Donnie Yen gets an emo hair cut in this comic book style martial arts flick. Some incredibly bad CGI in this. Didn't really enjoy this film.

Iron Man - Loved the majority of this film until the weak as fuck end battle. Robert Downey Jr was however fucking awesome and that Version 3 suit looked really great.

The Incredible Hulk - I hated the first one and this film corrected alot of the faults from it's predecessor. Norton does a good job in this despite wanting not to be associate with this project anymore. Tim Roth was really good as The Abomination. Enjoyed this movie alot.

Indianna Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - I wanted to hate on this, but I thought it was really great. Found the whole movie really entertaining.

The Omen 666 - Awful unnecessary remake of a classic horror. The dialogue is virtually identical to the original but seriously, Liev Schriber is no Gregory Peck. Amazed Pete Postlewaithe and David Thewlis even appeared in this. I fucking hate Julia Stiles.

Zombies, Zombies, Zombies - Lyanna Tumaneng is the only reason I watched this. I love her.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

watched le samurai again. movie gets better and better with every viewing. AOS is good, but samurai is melvilles GREATEST.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Sukiyaki Western Django - not as bad as I thought it was gonna be, but not great either. Some things I liked quite a bit about it actually, but the terrible english dialogue is basically enough to negate anything positive about the movie. Django theme in japanese is some shit though

Wall-e - awesome really pissed i missed it in the theater

hellboy 2 - also pissed i missed it in the theater, the creature design was by far the best part. story was kinda meh by mignola/del torro standards though

Lifeboat - never seen this one before, didn't expect it to be so raw. Hitchcock always loved the macbre but even for him the dead baby thing and the amputation are pretty extreme. Was kinda rooting for the german captain the whole time too

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

i just watched "let the right one in". it was very good. on the other hand, i also recently happened upon "dan in real life" (don't ask why i watched some of it) which was basically the opposite of "let the right one in". especially in the way it was an awful movie.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

The Sting - 8/10

Not nearly as good as Butch Cassidy, but an entertaining movie nonetheless. The guy who plays the Irish mob boss did a really good job, and Newman totally outshines Redford in every scene they're in. LOL at:

Mob boss: "My name is Donnegan."
Newman: [belches]

None

Post by None »

drizzle wrote:Wall-e - awesome really pissed i missed it in the theater
I wish Fred Willard really was president.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Wall E is on some other shit.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

been watching lots old James Bond movies.

I have seen "You only live twice"-(asian girl is underrated in terms of bond girls, but i have yellow fever like mad so...) , Your Majesty's Secret Service...

got a few more to watch.. been dvring whatever pops up on spike tv.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Mist - Great movie ruined somewhat by an inexcusably poor looking CGI tentacle. I think I'm in the minority here since I loved the ending. Most gutted ending since Scarface.

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

Looking back now, itג€™s not hard to believe that the Iron Curtain finally collapsed because it could no longer contain the irrepressible force that is Slovenian psychoanalytic philosopher Slavoj Zizek. One of contemporary thoughtג€™s most distinctively maverick public intellectuals, the ultra-prolific Zizek has authored dozens of books and hundreds of articles, marrying Lacan to Hegel in his pop-culturally informed quest to reveal our deeply hidden motivations.

Cinema has long been a tool aiding his theories ג€“ his ג€˜celebrityג€™ persona has been the subject of a couple of documentaries already ג€“ but here, taking dozens of classic scenes from Hitchcock, Lynch, Tarkovsky and more, he is truly in his element, improvising around the nature of reality and appearance, the unconscious need for belief and control, the role of fantasy and much else. His vivid close readings are given an extra twist in a striking visual leap. Fiennes has immersed Zizek directly in the scenes he discusses, either shooting him in key locations from the likes of ג€˜The Birdsג€™ or constructing numerous replica sets, so that he can lurk and riff from the basement of Norman Batesג€™ house in ג€˜Psychoג€™.

Itג€™s a bold, invigorating move, and for Sophie Fiennes, much of whose previous documentary work has also investigated ideas of language and performance (ג€˜Hoover Street Revivalג€™) as well as exploring form (with dancer Michael Clark), this three-part work is a natural development, moving further into an understanding of the moving image. For Zizek, itג€™s a visually exuberant showcase of his infectious enthusiasm around the workings of both the mind and medium. The shared result is essential viewing, for cinephiles of course, but also for anyone interested in the enduring power of cinema to shape our desires and fuel our dreams.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

P2

This is written and produced by those folks behind Haute Tension and The Hills Have Eyes (remake) - Alexandre Aja and the other one. It's directed by some actor called Franck Khulfon and he dresses like ackbar. All that aside, this is a nice little thriller that has a bit of a Hitchcock vibe in the beginning but quickly escalates into one of those the hunted becoming the hunter type films. It's all set in an underground parking lot with only two characters throughout the majority of the film. The short running time helps along the frantic pace of the film. I enjoyed this movie despite some really obvious flaws. I would just like to add that Rachel Nichols has a cracking pair of tits.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

The Unbearable Lightness of Being- Smut

Cane Toads: An Unnatural History- God made motion pictures for reasons such as this

PEACE