X+Y = the best album so far this year IMO

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

Cleanhobo wrote:
Nl5H wrote:this is an excellent album, but with that being said, mars volta still whips their ass.
How is Mars Volta's first album? I saw it used at Sam Goody for 6 bucks and thought about getting it.
de-loused? I actually just started listening to this recently and I love it. just don't try to make sense of the lyrics.

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

also, about this coldplay album...I gave the first half a listen about a week ago and haven't been compelled to give it another. I am starting to understand what the coldplay haters dislike about them. Their music is really formulaic and the lead singer becomes more grating with each subsequent listen (to me at least). The lyrics are mostly also too emo for me, although some struck a chord.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

yeah it does suck that every song does that..

Open with piano
sad mournful lyrics and tone
repetitive drums guitar and piano
little less sad and mournful lyrics louder tone
piano comes back
sad mournful lyrics and tone come back
end with lyrics or first piano.....

it seems at least that is all their singles recipe....the rest of the tracks on the album are alot different...I really like coldplay because I just do..... In a time of middle to upper class whiney punk bands I'll take the british alternative anyday.....

and mars volta is dope but fucking christ the operatic vocals make my head want to explode..... .

charlie sheen's microwave

Post by charlie sheen's microwave »

Money Gripp wrote:
SeaTownBlues wrote:Of all the bands to hate on, why Coldplay?
It's called backlash, Seatown.

It's a time-honored tradition - the public and the press have a circle-jerk over some medicore band that manages to rise a few steps above the heap of shit that's known as popular music while better bands and musicians work in obscurity and never get the press, sales, and accolades they deserve.
yeah, but if those same bands that wallow in relative obsccurity got even a 1/4 of the press Coldplay is getting currently, it'd only be a matter of time before you hated on them too... and you can't even compare the heap of shit that's pop-music nowadays to pop-music from fifteen years ago. So if said band manages to rise above the current shit, and they're as competent as Coldplay, then I'd give them props just on that fact alone. Personally, I think The Doves are in the same vein as Coldplay but they're a much more genuine, talented version...it's a shame they don't get nearly the support or push from the label, but I don't hate Coldplay based on that fact. Anyhow, after ingesting the new record for a few weeks, I'd have to say it's not as good as Rush of Blood...but it is indeed catchy, and although I fancy myself a music-snob as well, like some of you other snooty fucks, this album is good.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Who remembers all that shite Chris Martin was talking about this new album during the two years it took him to make it? I remember him going on about hip hop influences, Brian Eno influences, a whole new sound for Coldplay.

BOLLOCKS, MATE. It sounds the same as the last one!

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:Who remembers all that shite Chris Martin was talking about this new album during the two years it took him to make it? I remember him going on about hip hop influences, Brian Eno influences, a whole new sound for Coldplay.

What hip-hop influences?

Philaflava wrote:
Y@k Bollocks wrote:Who remembers all that shite Chris Martin was talking about this new album during the two years it took him to make it? I remember him going on about hip hop influences, Brian Eno influences, a whole new sound for Coldplay.

What hip-hop influences?
didn't he say he wanted to work with Timbaland or something? I dunno, Timberland's are made outta leather though, and i rele can't believe Chris Martin gets down with leather. synthetic, maybe...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

How about Chris Martin meets Christopher Martin :killacam:

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Lullabies to Paralyze>X/Y

Breath Mint

Post by Breath Mint »

Pretty bad.

Kid B

Post by Kid B »

X&Y sounds like they listened to U2 circa 1982 and studied every arrangement. Talk is the only track on there that rocks.

Kid B wrote:X&Y sounds like they listened to U2 circa 1982 and studied every arrangement. Talk is the only track on there that rocks.

Agreed on the first part. I guess I like u2 circa 82 alot...

Rey Slo

Post by Rey Slo »

:lurkers:

SeaTownBlues

Post by SeaTownBlues »

Coldplay haters need to check "The Scientist" off of A Rush Of Blood To The Head.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

pisses all over the boring by numbers Coldplay album imo.

Kid B

Post by Kid B »

Jaz wrote:Image

Co-sizzled.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Kid B wrote:

Co-sizzled.

tpp

Post by tpp »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:
Kid B wrote:

Co-multiculturally-sizzled.
edit: haha i didn't see that at first.

mud

Post by mud »

one of them is :ghostface: ,one of them is :reason: ,one of them is :paulwall:,no?