Top Chef Season 6

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Loki

Top Chef Season 6

Post by Loki »

Already 2 episodes in.

Looks to be the best season yet - there are a ton of talented chefs.

Some guy made a gespacho cooled in liquid nitrogen. Some other dude made a tofu seviche. Another guy made a corn chip macaroon with guacamole inside. Watching this shit makes me insanely hungry.

The brother vs. brother battle is going to be entertaining.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

that nigga thrwe the whole steak in the fryer
UBM CD COMING SOON

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

yeah i'm into this season already.

i was very very let down after last season (josea sucked as a chef), but with two or three james beard nominees and someone that worked directly under eric ripert (i think right?)...this should be a really good season.

got that shit dvr'd like whoah.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

post screen caps of padma with dick shaped foods pls
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

Hung >>>>>

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

WHY IS ROBIN STILL IN THIS SEASON!?!?! jesus christ...producers, we get it, she causes drama, but she's fucking obnoxious as all hell.

pretty pissed the really good female chef is losing her shit, i wanted to see her, the fat beard guy, and the younger of the two brothers in the finale. i think that could possibly be the strongest trio of chefs in a finale of any of the seasons.

dat piff

Post by dat piff »

intuition wrote:yeah i'm into this season already.

i was very very let down after last season (josea sucked as a chef), but with two or three james beard nominees and someone that worked directly under eric ripert (i think right?)...this should be a really good season.

<---- Has some of Eric Ripert's recipes.. he used to consult for a restaurant I worked at and my boy was trained by him..

It's gonna be between the brothers and the fat dude with the beard..
ImageImageImage

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

i think that chick is AS GOOD as the fat dude with the beard, and better than the older of the brothers. her game has just been off.

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

intuition wrote:WHY IS ROBIN STILL IN THIS SEASON!?!?! jesus christ...producers, we get it, she causes drama, but she's fucking obnoxious as all hell.

pretty pissed the really good female chef is losing her shit, i wanted to see her, the fat beard guy, and the younger of the two brothers in the finale. i think that could possibly be the strongest trio of chefs in a finale of any of the seasons.
Maximum co-signage.

dat piff

Post by dat piff »

intuition wrote:i think that chick is AS GOOD as the fat dude with the beard, and better than the older of the brothers. her game has just been off.
she should be fucking sick if she worked so close with dude but you can't teach natural talent or having a palette.. my boy would tell me how Eric Ripert would taste something and tell you everything that was in it.. he's on some next level tasting shit
ImageImageImage

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

so next episode the season finale.

i was rooting for Jen over the older voltaggio brother, so i'm bummed to see her go, but i will say that i think this is the strongest final three of any season.

anyone else TOTALLY STOKED?!?!?!

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

drizzle wrote:post screen caps of padma with dick shaped foods pls
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

oh yeah, padma's pregnant too...she's looking thick and she's definitely glowing.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

First time I've ever felt like all three of the final contestants could reasonably win it.

Was surprised to see having the two Voltwhatever brothers wasn't just a casting gimmick either.

It was definitely a weird season of the show, with more deadweight and talent at the top on either end than I can ever remember in the past.

Dopeness is that the final three, Jennifer, and Mike the Mook could have all probably kicked Hosea's ass had they been on last season.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

PopeyeJones wrote: Dopeness is that the final three, Jennifer, and Mike the Mook could have all probably kicked Hosea's ass had they been on last season.
i kinda thought that guy mike was all talk and never really proved himself at all.

fucking robin had to be top 5 worst cast member of all seasons though. hated her.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

intuition wrote:oh yeah, padma's pregnant too...she's looking thick and she's definitely glowing.
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/CtgyJ8RtJGqfR ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/CtgyJ8RtJGqfRkoBv8VvXQ/i90" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Loki

Post by Loki »

mike the mook's tapas place in dc is really really really good. went there last year when i was back home visiting on the recommendations of several heads. i wasn't disappointed. zaytina i think it was called? anyway, i have a friend that works there now...she said they were having viewing parties every thursday night while he was still on the show. sounds like fun...
anyway, bout to sit down and watch the first part of the season finale...i'm geeked

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

intuition wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote: Dopeness is that the final three, Jennifer, and Mike the Mook could have all probably kicked Hosea's ass had they been on last season.
i kinda thought that guy mike was all talk and never really proved himself at all.

fucking robin had to be top 5 worst cast member of all seasons though. hated her.
Yeah, I thought Mike was an all talk hack through most of the season as well, but the last couple weeks he was on I got the sense that dude was just kind of a ham and actually a pretty talented cook. The Volt brothers attested to it, and some of the cast member blogs on the Bravo site (which are worth the read each week, imo) kind of spoke to it too.

Yeah, Robin fucking sucked. I put Mike over Eli just b/c Eli is so young.

Mostly included Mike in there just because in retrospect I think last season fucking sucked. I still couldn't tell you thing about Hosea or the type of food he makes. It's the first time I had ever felt that way about the winner.

From Colicchio's blog from this week
This was the strongest group of chefs ever to going into a Top Chef finale. All four are highly accomplished. And itג€™s the first time that the four strongest chefs in a season actually made it to the finale ג€“ no one snuck in through a side door to get there ג€“ as evidenced by the fact that between the four of them, they always won the Elimination Challenges. No one made any excuses for their dishes at this Elimination Challenge, and everyone performed very well. At this stage, with these chefs, no one was going home for a bad dish; we knew that it was going to be about small details.

It may not make sense to you but it was clear to us immediately that it would be Jen who would be going home. What it came down to was that both of her dishes were way too salty. Jenג€™s overseasoning of both her dishes stood out to the judges like a sore thumb. We had our conversation at Judges' Table about whom to send home, but it was pro forma; we already knew and were in complete accord.

wheels

Post by wheels »

dat piff wrote:
intuition wrote:yeah i'm into this season already.

<---- Has some of Eric Ripert's recipes.. he used to consult for a restaurant I worked at and my boy was trained by him..

It's gonna be between the brothers and the fat dude with the beard..
Gimme recipes

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

i was under the impression that mike was getting the boot because of the bad egg

im pro-kevin
dude's fucking dope and his bald spot is an inspiration

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

avoided this thread because canada was a week or two behind in the airings.. finally seen the whole shit

- this season was one of the best.. definitely top 3. the only difference was this season was so great to watch not because of big/crazy/dickhead personalities.. but because there was a lot of seriously good chefs competing.
- i dunno how much can be blamed on editing.. but seems like jen clearly lost her shit because of the pressure of competitive cooking & not a lack of talent.
- kevin was obviously my favorite going in. dude came off the coolest, most down to earth & had the best culinary perspective (imo).
- i wonder how much the sous chef draw for the finale affected kevin's performance. obvs it's part of the game.. but he got fucked raw compared to the brothers who got some crazy help.
- i think bryan should have won. it was close.. but even if he didn't have the same level highs, he seemed to be more consistent.

ultimately.. i'm sure mike is a great chef. but him (and a lot of other past TC contestants) represent a style i'm definitely on the fence about. they're labeled creative & forward thinking.. but a lot what they do could just as easily be classified as trendy, gimmicky, unnecessary, etc. i don't mind the liquid nitrogen, foams, deconstruction, etc. as long as they maintain a clear connection to nature & tradition. michael crosses the line a bit when he starts to think his shit don't stink. that's another reason i'd favor bryan.. cause he was sort of a middle ground between kevin & michael

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

if you :didntread: my above post.. read this one:

the padma talk in this thread is crazy. you guys are sleeping extra hard (no pun). the one to post about is CLEARLY gail simmons. titties for weeks