The Golden Globes

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

The Golden Globes

Post by Trademark »

BULLSHIT....Avatar is not the best film of the year,

Vent about this bullshit show now please....

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Star Trek > Avatar

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Truth. wrote:Star Trek > Avatar
agreed, even Inglorious Basterds was better than Avatar... I'm pretty happy about these though
Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical: Robert Downey Jr., Sherlock Holmes

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture: Christop Waltz, Inglorious Basterds

Best Actress, TV Comedy: Toni Collette, The United States of Tara

Best Actor in a TV Series, Drama: Michael C Hall, Dexter

Best Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical: The Hangover

and the Cecil B. Demille award for Martin Scorsese (it's about damn time)
I haven't seen Precious or Crazy Heart

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

The Golden Globes should be abolished.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i didn't watch the entire thing.. but gervais seemed to be hilarious from what i saw

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

fuuuuck i slept through the entire thing. Gervais was good tho?? damn

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

ackbar wrote:i didn't watch the entire thing.. but gervais seemed to be hilarious from what i saw
Gervais: "I'm sorry if I offended anybody tonight. But its not me, its the (points to his pint of beer). I like to have a drink as much as the next man. (Pause) But not if the next man is our next presenter. Mr. Mel Gibson!"

lulz

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

Positive A wrote:
ackbar wrote:i didn't watch the entire thing.. but gervais seemed to be hilarious from what i saw
Gervais: "I'm sorry if I offended anybody tonight. But its not me, its the (points to his pint of beer). I like to have a drink as much as the next man. (Pause) But not if the next man is our next presenter. Mr. Mel Gibson!"

lulz
hahahahaha

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

just skimming through the show right now..
wtf is wrong with harrison ford?? :rofl: i could've sworn dude was having a stroke when he presented the 'up in the air' clip

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

House of Games wrote:
Positive A wrote:

lulz
hahahahaha
really? fucking borscht belt alcohol jokes and a decade old reference to gibson? this shit reads like a typical wednesday for leno. don't get it.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I wish Gervais has more air time. Nobody gives a fuck about the HFC or the funds they receive. The most deserving award last night went to Christoph Waltz and :ironmike: Avatar winning is such bullshit.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

PopeyeJones wrote:
House of Games wrote:
Positive A wrote:

lulz
hahahahaha
really? fucking borscht belt alcohol jokes and a decade old reference to gibson? this shit reads like a typical wednesday for leno. don't get it.
it was better live than typed. cadence.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Philaflava wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:
House of Games wrote:
Positive A wrote:

lulz
hahahahaha
it was better live than typed. cadence.

it was amazing live.... also you knew it was coming but "Ok I better get on with the show before NBC replaces me with Jay Leno." Shit was LOLZ...

you know some years are known as the "year of the underdog" this year truly was the year of the big name. Meryl Streep didn't need to win AGAIN, Drew Barrymore never needs to win and her speech was atrocious, now Jeff Bridges is the man, I havent' seen Crazy Heart but I'm sure the dude deserves it. James Cameron didn't need to win and neither did Avatar. I was glad for Christopher Weltz for IB an amazing performance in that movie.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Cannes > Oscars > ISAs > Screen Actors Guild Awards >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Golden Globes

It'd be interesting to see what the HFPA did to get their award show such recognition because I still don't understand why the Golden Globes are televised and why anyone puts any stock in their outcome. Why do people give a shit about what 95 foreign journalists think about US movies? From Wiki:
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) is an organization composed of journalists who cover the United States film industry, but are affiliated with publications outside of the United States. The group is best known for the Golden Globe Awards, of which it is the creator and on-going organizer. The group was founded in 1943 by a correspondent for the Daily Mail, a UK newspaper. The chief aim was, and is, the dispersing of news about Hollywood to countries outside North America. They vote and decide on Golden Globe nominees for each year.

Exclusivity:
The New York Times reported that the HFPA "functions like an exclusive club, admitting a maximum of five new members a year, though more often...accepting only one. Any single member may object to a new member, making it extremely difficult to join. The association does not represent internationally renowned publications like Le Monde or The Times of Londonג€”indeed, it has repeatedly rejected applications from Sue Kim, a Le Monde correspondent, while accepting applications from freelance writers from Bangladesh and South Korea".[1]

Accusations of buying votes:
The HFPA has also been scrutinized for being susceptible to heavy lobbying by studios and artists for nominations and awards. In 1981, the HFPA was heavily criticized after it was revealed that an award given to actress Pia Zadora (as "Best Female Newcomer" in the critically panned film Butterfly) had been preceded by a junket to Las Vegas for HFPA members paid for by Zadora's husband and a producer/financier of the film, Meshulam Riklis.[2]

In 1999, HFPA president Helmut Voss ordered all 82 members to return gift luxury watches sent by either Sharon Stone or USA/October Films (now merged into Focus Features) as a promotion for a nomination for her performance in The Muse. According to Variety, Voss ordered the return of the watches "to protect the integrity of its award".[3]

Small membership:
Another criticism is of the small membership that casts votes. For the 2009 awards, the Association had 95 members.
Last edited by Icesickle on Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Icesickle wrote:Cannes > Oscars > ISAs > Screen Actors Guild Awards >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Golden Globes

It'd be interesting to see what the HFPA did to get their award show such recognition because I still don't understand why the Golden Globes are televised and why anyone puts any stock in their outcome. Why do people give a shit about what 92 foreign journalists think about US movies? From Wiki:
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) is an organization composed of journalists who cover the United States film industry, but are affiliated with publications outside of the United States. The group is best known for the Golden Globe Awards, of which it is the creator and on-going organizer. The group was founded in 1943 by a correspondent for the Daily Mail, a UK newspaper. The chief aim was, and is, the dispersing of news about Hollywood to countries outside North America. They vote and decide on Golden Globe nominees for each year.

Exclusivity:
The New York Times reported that the HFPA "functions like an exclusive club, admitting a maximum of five new members a year, though more often...accepting only one. Any single member may object to a new member, making it extremely difficult to join. The association does not represent internationally renowned publications like Le Monde or The Times of Londonג€”indeed, it has repeatedly rejected applications from Sue Kim, a Le Monde correspondent, while accepting applications from freelance writers from Bangladesh and South Korea".[1]

The HFPA has also been scrutinized for being susceptible to heavy lobbying by studios and artists for nominations and awards. In 1981, the HFPA was heavily criticized after it was revealed that an award given to actress Pia Zadora (as "Best Female Newcomer" in the critically panned film Butterfly) had been preceded by a junket to Las Vegas for HFPA members paid for by Zadora's husband and a producer/financier of the film, Meshulam Riklis.[2]

In 1999, HFPA president Helmut Voss ordered all 82 members to return gift luxury watches sent by either Sharon Stone or USA/October Films (now merged into Focus Features) as a promotion for a nomination for her performance in The Muse. According to Variety, Voss ordered the return of the watches "to protect the integrity of its award".[3]

Small membership:
Another criticism is of the small membership that casts votes. For the 2009 awards, the Association had 95 members.

:cheers:

javier boredom

Post by javier boredom »

Philaflava wrote:I wish Gervais has more air time. Nobody gives a fuck about the HFC or the funds they receive. The most deserving award last night went to Christoph Waltz and :ironmike: Avatar winning is such bullshit.
him and scorsese were the only legit awards to me.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

happy that the hangover won. and i want to see crazy heart..

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I understand the criticisms of some of these, but let's be real, the Golden Globes still put "Musicals" and "Comedies" in the same category. They're THAT in touch.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

House of Games wrote:
Positive A wrote:

lulz
hahahahaha
easily his best joke of the night. the way he threw a "hey!" over at Mel was also gold.
most of his other ones were awkward and strained, if not straight fumbled.
talk about not knowing when to turn on and turn off the comedy.

Harrison Ford is WAY TOO SERIOUS, nuff said. Dude sounds like he won't smile unless he gets paid EXTRA.

I liked Drew Barrymore's speech. For her first win, I'd be the same way too if I was coming to that room for fucking 30 years and never won anything until now.

Meryl Streep is CLASSY out the asspiece.

Mike Tyson should have gotten more air time.

I swear Mickey Rourke was going to spit on the ballot when he read that Sandra Bullock won over the girl from 'Precious', who we know will NEVER SET FOOT IN THAT ROOM AGAIN, meanwhile, Sandra Bullock doesn't need a fucking trophy cause she's a rich white Hollywood woman for one, and for two her movie was the more palatable, suburban-friendly version of Precious, except with a Black football player. Mickey Rourke: "AND THE WINNER IS!.... *joy dies* sandrrr bullocblecch.

LOL @ Julia Roberts at the beginning on the red carpet: "yeah, I turned down The Blindside."

Avatar shouldn't win anything except special effects awards. Star Trek was better for plot, and damn near everything else was better. Avatar's plot was more basic than fucking Star Wars, and that shit is elementary film making.

a night of tragicomedy.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dat piff

Post by dat piff »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
House of Games wrote:
Positive A wrote:

lulz
hahahahaha
easily his best joke of the night. the way he threw a "hey!" over at Mel was also gold.
most of his other ones were awkward and strained, if not straight fumbled.
talk about not knowing when to turn on and turn off the comedy.

Harrison Ford is WAY TOO SERIOUS, nuff said. Dude sounds like he won't smile unless he gets paid EXTRA.

I liked Drew Barrymore's speech. For her first win, I'd be the same way too if I was coming to that room for fucking 30 years and never won anything until now.

Meryl Streep is CLASSY out the asspiece.

Mike Tyson should have gotten more air time.

I swear Mickey Rourke was going to spit on the ballot when he read that Sandra Bullock won over the girl from 'Precious', who we know will NEVER SET FOOT IN THAT ROOM AGAIN, meanwhile, Sandra Bullock doesn't need a fucking trophy cause she's a rich white Hollywood woman for one, and for two her movie was the more palatable, suburban-friendly version of Precious, except with a Black football player. Mickey Rourke: "AND THE WINNER IS!.... *joy dies* sandrrr bullocblecch.

LOL @ Julia Roberts at the beginning on the red carpet: "yeah, I turned down The Blindside."

Avatar shouldn't win anything except special effects awards. Star Trek was better for plot, and damn near everything else was better. Avatar's plot was more basic than fucking Star Wars, and that shit is elementary film making.

a night of tragicomedy.
you are more of an idiot without the use of emoticons
ImageImageImage

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Trademark wrote:
Icesickle wrote:Cannes > Oscars > ISAs > Screen Actors Guild Awards >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Golden Globes

It'd be interesting to see what the HFPA did to get their award show such recognition because I still don't understand why the Golden Globes are televised and why anyone puts any stock in their outcome. Why do people give a shit about what 92 foreign journalists think about US movies? From Wiki:

Exclusivity:

Small membership:

:cheers:
LOL @ you two fancies being outraged over the Golden Globes.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

collection of gervais clips

<div><object width="512" height="322"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/static.video.yahoo.co ... ver=2.2.46" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="AllowScriptAccess" VALUE="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashVars" value="id=17677993&vid=6800898&lang=en-gb&intl=uk&thumbUrl=http%3A//l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sch/cn/video08/6800898_rndef7155b6_19.jpg&embed=1" /><embed src="http://d.yimg.com/static.video.yahoo.co ... ver=2.2.46" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="322" allowFullScreen="true" AllowScriptAccess="always" bgcolor="#000000" flashVars="id=17677993&vid=6800898&lang=en-gb&intl=uk&thumbUrl=http%3A//l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sch/cn/video08/6800898_rndef7155b6_19.jpg&embed=1" ></embed></object>

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

:cheers: to Christolph Waltz.

Well deserved.

Pronay

Post by Pronay »

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Why is it black woman, not all but so many of them refuse to shave their legs? I went to school with girls that had more hair on their legs than I did. I don't mean a few, I'm talking about every single black girl that wasn't Caribbean or 1/2 white.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

LOL

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

LilLeftBrain wrote:Image
He is an actor I hate for no apparent reason. He isn't even a Jew. Fraud fuck. He's :ohcanada: but that's not the reason for my dislike. Something about this douche is just so unlikable.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Philaflava wrote:
LilLeftBrain wrote:Image
He is an actor I hate for no apparent reason. He isn't even a Jew. Fraud fuck. He's :ohcanada: but that's not the reason for my dislike. Something about this douche is just so unlikable.
Brendan Fraser?

He is a shitty actor, The Mummy movies sucked and so did Journey To The Center of The Earth, he plays the same character in all those movies, the only semi-ok film he was the one with Elizabeth Hurley as the devil.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Yeah but it dates back to Encino Man for me. I fucking HATE this tool.