Winter's Bone

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

naturalborn103

Winter's Bone

Post by naturalborn103 »

I looked this movie up to see if this was posted about but all I see is that wack movie lovely bones. If it was posted about delete or lock this.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/swTwZx1pqD8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/swTwZx1pqD8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I barely watch movies and nothing close the film critics most of you are, but I thought this movie was great, 8.5/10 IMO. Anyone else see it? Great acting, believable, pulls you in fast, pace is great, and just a real good movie to watch. Here is a good review from Roger Ebert who gave it 4/5 stars.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /100619992
Winter's Bone
BY ROGER EBERT / June 16, 2010

Roadside Attractions presents a film directed by Debra Granik. Written by Granik and Anne Rosellini, based on the novel by Daniel Woodrell. Running time: 99 minutes. Rated R (for some drug material, language and violent content).

The movie heroes who affect me most are not extroverted. They don't strut, speechify and lead armies. They have no superpowers. They are ordinary people who are faced with a need and rise to the occasion. Ree Dolly is such a hero.

A girl of 17, she acts as the homemaker for her younger brother and sister. This is in the backlands of the Ozarks. Her mother sits useless all day, mentally absent. Her father, who was jailed for cooking meth, is missing. She tries to raise the kids and feed them, scraping along on welfare and the kindness of neighbors. The children, like all children who are not beaten, are cheerful and energetic, and love to play. They have not learned they are disadvantaged.

This world is established with bleak economy in the opening scenes of Debra Granik's ג€œWinter's Bone,ג€ which was a double prize winner at Sundance 2010. Unmistakably filmed on location, this film focuses on a society that has been left behind. It looks like Walker Percy's photographs of the rural Depression, brought forward to today. The unanswered question is how Ree Dolly grew up in this world and became strong, self-reliant and proud. She didn't learn it from her parents.

The sheriff comes to call. Her father Jessup has skipped bail. To meet his bond, he put up the house ג€” perhaps the only asset he had. If he doesn't turn himself in within a week, the family will be thrown out. Just like that. ג€œI'll find him,ג€ Ree says quietly and firmly. And that's what she sets out to do.

Ree is played by Jennifer Lawrence, a 19-year-old newcomer who has already starred in Jodie Foster's next film. Lawrence embodies a fierce, still center that is the source of her heroism. She makes no boasts, issues no threats, depends on a dogged faith that people will do the right thing ג€” even when no one we meet seems to deserve that faith. ג€œDon't ask for what's not offered,ג€ she tells her little brother, although the lives of her parents seem to be an exercise in asking and not offering. Did she raise herself?

Everyone in the district knew that Jessup cooked methamphetamine. He is a modern moonshiner. What's obvious is that meth doesn't seem to have made him much money. Perhaps its illegality is its appeal, and its market is among people he feels comfortable with. Ree's travels in search of her father lead her to his brother, Teardrop (John Hawkes), whose existence inflicts a wound on the gift of being alive.

The script, by Granik and Anne Rosellini, based on the novel by Daniel Woodrell, uses the ancient form of an odyssey. At its end will be Ree's father, dead or alive. Most likely dead, she begins to conclude, but unless there is a body, her family will be homeless and torn apart. She treks through a landscape scarcely less ruined than the one in Cormac McCarthy's "The Road." This land seems post-catastrophe. Although it has cars and electricity, running shoes and kitchens, cigarettes and televisions, these seem like relics of an earlier, prosperous time. If thrown-away possessions pile up around the houses of people, it is because they've reached the end of the line. There is no next stop.

There is a hazard of caricature here. Granik avoids it. Her film doesn't live above these people, but among them. Ree herself has lived as one of them and doesn't see them as inferior, only ungiving and disappointing. In her father's world, everyone is a criminal, depends on a criminal or sells to criminals. That they are engaging in illegal activities makes them vulnerable to informers and plea-bargainers, so they are understandably suspicious. The cliche would be that they suspect outsiders. These characters suspect insiders, even family members.

As Ree's journey takes her to one character after another, Granik is able to focus on each one's humanity, usually damaged. They aren't attractions in a sideshow, but survivors in a shared reality. Do they look at Ree and see a girl in need and a family threatened with eviction? I think they see the danger of their own need and eviction; it's safer to keep quiet and close off.

So the film rests on Ree, counter-balanced by Teardrop, who is aggressive with his hatefulness instead of passive in amorality. A story like this could become mired in despair, but Ree's hope and courage lock us in. How did she get to be the way she is? We are born optimistic, although life can be a great discouragement. In every bad situation, there are usually a few good people.

Also, random ignorant question.. They don't got food stamps/public housing/welfare/section 8 housing/etc. or something of that sort in every state?

PopeyeJones

Re: Winter Bone's

Post by PopeyeJones »

naturalborn103 wrote: Also, random ignorant question.. They don't got food stamps/public housing/welfare/section 8 housing/etc. or something of that sort in every state?
The review says they're on welfare and homeowners. Why do you ask?

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

PopeyeJones wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote: Also, random ignorant question.. They don't got food stamps/public housing/welfare/section 8 housing/etc. or something of that sort in every state?
Guess I missed over that. When I watched the movie I saw no mention of welfare or anything like that and the whole time the only thing her fam was eating was food given to them by the neighbors and thing they shot themselves.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

naturalborn103 wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:
Guess I missed over that. When I watched the movie I saw no mention of welfare or anything like that and the whole time the only thing her fam was eating was food given to them by the neighbors and thing they shot themselves.
Ah, okay. I haven't seen it. Maybe Ebert just assumed that part? Dunno.

btw:

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Damn.. You see nothing close to those type scenes in this movie.

No one else saw this???

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Has anyone seen this who isn't on ignore? I'm pretty cysed. Reviews from publications I trust about movies (Onion, New Yorker, Village Voice, Chicago Reader, etc.) have been extremely positive and it has two Deadwood cast members in it.

EDIT: :roll: Winter Bone's. This dude over here...

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I'm fucking stunned you can even follow the trailer, naturalwhore103.

DOPEST flick I've seen in a minute. If your heart doesn't break for her younger brother and sister as the movie progresses, you have no heart. Truly takes White Trash/redneckism to a place you never want to go again. You can't really discuss anything specific about the movie or you'd be inadvertently spoiling the sequence of events that leads to the movie's end. Inescapably sad and paranoia/panic-inducing. This movie will really fuck up your day though so watch it at night or later in the evening so you don't fuck yourself up.

John Hawkes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He's seriously :ohsh: here.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Icesickle wrote: EDIT: :roll: Winter Bone's. This dude over here...

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

naturalborn103 wrote:
Icesickle wrote: EDIT: :roll: Winter Bone's. This dude over here...
:naswtf:

You had it as Winter Bone's before I changed the title champ.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

oh.. :copy: Even the tailor I posted from youtube had it wrong..

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

This movie is worth all the hype it's getting. All of the resident CYE movie heads would LOVE this movie. It'll resonate with everyone on here, imo, and this is reflected in the 91% score it's getting on Metacritic and the near perfect score it has on Rotten Tomatoes. It's first and foremost a thriller, but the director (Debra Granik) does a great job at creating an authentic, foreboding sense of place and getting at deeper issues while doing it in service of the narrative. Granik also is great at generating tension and coaxing great performances out of a cast of professionals and non-professionals, especially Oscar-worthy performances by John Hawkes (Star from Deadwood) and the female lead (Jennifer Lawrence).

Here's a good synopsis of the film from then New York Times' A.O. Scott
AO Scott wrote: Where Life Is Cold, and Kin Are Cruel

Even before the real trouble starts ג€” with suspicious lawmen on one side and a clan of violent drug dealers on the other ג€” Ree Dolly faces more than the usual litany of adolescent worries. Her father, locally renowned for his skill at cooking methamphetamine, has vanished, and her emotionally hollowed-out mother has long since abandoned basic parental duties, leaving Ree (Jennifer Lawrence) to run the household and care for her two younger siblings. The family lives in southwestern Missouri, a stretch of the Ozarks that is both desolate and picturesque, words that might also suit ג€œWinterג€™s Bone,ג€ Debra Granikג€™s tender and flinty adaptation of a novel of the same title by Daniel Woodrell.

ג€œWinterג€™s Bone,ג€ warmly embraced at this yearג€™s Sundance Film Festival, belongs, at least at first glance, to one of that festivalג€™s familiar genres: the regional-realist morality tale. These days, American independent cinema abounds in earnest stories of hard-bitten people living in impoverished corners of the country, their moral and emotional struggles accompanied by acoustic guitars and evocative landscape shots and generally uninflected by humor.

The faces in ג€œWinterג€™s Boneג€ are certainly mirthless ג€” not only Reeג€™s, but also those of the relatives she turns to for advice and protection when her predicament becomes desperate. The topography of chilly hollows and ragged forests is filmed in a way that emphasizes its bleakness. There are banjos and fiddles, as well as guitars, and some beautiful old mountain ballads are performed on camera. Some of the cast members are nonprofessional actors, and nearly all are wary, watchful and taciturn, speaking their few words in faultless regional accents.

What distinguishes Ms. Granikג€™s film from, say, Courtney Huntג€™s ג€œFrozen Riverג€ ג€” to cite another recent Sundance favorite with cold weather in its title and grim Americana on its mind ג€” is that this harshness is not there to illuminate a sociological condition. Something more primal, almost Greek in its archaic power, is at stake in ג€œWinterג€™s Bone,ג€ and its visual and emotional starkness do no not feel like simple badges of authenticity.

This is not a story about drugs and family life in a particular region of the United States, even though it displays some impressive local knowledge (much of it derived from Mr. Woodrellג€™s book). It is more deeply about tribal ties and individual choices, about a stubborn girlג€™s sense of justice coming into sharp and dangerous conflict with deep and intractable customs.

In Ms. Lawrenceג€™s watchful, precise and quietly heroic performance, Ree is like a modern-day Antigone, making ethical demands that are at once entirely coherent and potentially fatal. After his last arrest, her father, Jessup, put up the family property ג€” including the house where his wife and children live ג€” as bond, and if he does not surrender soon, it will all be taken away.

Jessup, however, is nowhere to be found, and Reeג€™s efforts to locate him leave her in a terrible dilemma. She must either betray the code of silence that keeps her extended family firmly and proudly on the wrong side of the law, or else face destitution.

ג€œArenג€™t we all supposed to be kin?ג€ she asks, more than once, as she tramps through the backwoods from house to house, demanding information, help or just a scrap of elementary kindness. The kinfolk next door grudgingly offer food and monitor Reeג€™s encounters with the nervous deputies from the sheriffג€™s office who stop by from time to time. Jessupג€™s brother, Teardrop (John Hawkes), greets her with silent menace that erupts into violence, though he turns out to harbor more compassion than most.

ג€œAre you going to kill me?ג€ Ree asks, after a group of women led by the wife of the clan patriarch has beaten her and thrown her in a barn.

ג€œThat idea was talked about,ג€ is the matter-of-fact reply.

Anxious sympathy for this young woman in peril ג€” at 17, barely more than a child herself and forced to respond to challenges that would terrify most adults ג€” is the prevailing emotion you are likely to feel when watching ג€œWinterג€™s Bone.ג€ It is straightforward and suspenseful but also surprising and subtle. Ree is torn between loyalty to her brother and sister and a desire to escape her ancestral home, to join the Army and make a new life for herself. But an interview with a military recruiter reveals just how deeply she is embedded in a way of life that has defined her family for generations.

The soldier, who patiently and kindly demolishes Reeג€™s dream of running away, belongs to a world governed by reasonable options and practical considerations. Ree lives somewhere else, in a universe ruled by ancient grudges and elaborate, inflexible notions of obligation, honor and shame. ג€œWinterג€™s Boneג€ is about her discovery of how cruel her native habitat can be and also about her initiation into its ways ג€” a coming-of-age story that is not entirely about breaking free.

Whether Reeג€™s world exists in quite the way Ms. Granik and Mr. Woodrell depict it is not really the issue; the filmג€™s realism is a point of entry rather than the whole point of the exercise. Its setting is finally subordinate to the main character, as memorable and vivid a heroine as you are likely to see on screen this season.

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

PopeyeJones wrote: Image
Saw this last week at the Edinburgh Film Festival. Thought it was excellent. Jennifer Lawrence was there, but she wasn't dressed like that.

T Rav

Post by T Rav »

Damn, just started an unneccessary thread about this. Search function did me in! I feel :thebest:. Times that x 5 because naturalbirth started the thread.
Buy my mixtape.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Really dope movie. I didn't really know much about it going in (my girl wanted to see it and promised me it wasn't some "faggot shit")) but I was very pleased. I've never seen a movie that really pin pointed this brand of white trash.

Also, those pics popeye posted are ill. I had a feeling the girl had a body but that was a nice surprise.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Icesickle wrote:This movie is worth all the hype it's getting.
Fuck yeah! Can't begin to imagine how well it's gonna look in BR. Just posted a gay little review in the movie thread.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Great movie, I especially enjoyed the male and female archetypes in this particular slice of middle America. The way the women were tough and supportive of their husbands, but would help each other out when people weren't looking...and the way the men were "macho", but were really afraid to be individuals and have independent thoughts and emotions. Felt like it was made by people who really understood that world.
Last edited by unclebengi on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Anyone read the novel?

jay

Post by jay »

Just watched this weekend and really enjoyed it. As all have stated above great acting and all tied together very well. Bleak setting and scenery but a very satisfying movie experience

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

This is still the best movie I've seen all year, with Social Network, The Town, Toy Story 3, and The Other Guys rounding out my Top 5.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Time to downloaddd.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

unclebengi wrote:great movie, I especially enjoyed the male and female archetypes in this particular slice of middle America. The way the women were tough and supportive of they're husbands, but would help out each other when people weren't looking...and the way the men were "macho", but were really afraid to be individuals and have independent thoughts and emotions. Felt like it was made by people who really understood that world.
:lol: :lol: :lol: well they'res nothing I'll ever read regarding this movie thats better than that

movie was slice A, didn't know this was a novel prior, nor did I ever imagine Jennifer Lawrence looked like :jiz: but yeah, great, great movie
John Hawkes was murrrrder
moved by duck muscles

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

LilLeftBrain wrote:
unclebengi wrote:great movie, I especially enjoyed the male and female archetypes in this particular slice of middle America. The way the women were tough and supportive of they're husbands, but would help out each other when people weren't looking...and the way the men were "macho", but were really afraid to be individuals and have independent thoughts and emotions. Felt like it was made by people who really understood that world.
:lol: :lol: :lol: well they'res nothing I'll ever read regarding this movie thats better than that
:lol: must not have had time to edit...

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Is Granik's other movie, Down To The Bone, worth peeping?

Thun

Post by Thun »

I finally saw this movie and I enjoyed it for the most part. A few thoughts:

- The lead actress was almost too pretty and graceful for this role. I say "almost" because on a symbolic level, portraying the character as attractive, poised, clean, etc. signals to us that she is special and worth caring about, that she is the perfect person to take on the burden she faces because she has not been reduced to the ugliness and inhumanity of her milieu. It also makes sense in light of the film's fairly obvious feminism; her comeliness or grace should not get in the way of her asserting herself and breaking the conventions of the highly sexist environment.

On the other hand, I couldn't help but thinking that her looks kind of detracted from the "grit" of it all.

- This is the kind of film where the concept of authenticity cannot be kept out of discussion. So let's discuss it. The details - the dirty t-shirts and flannel, the mangy pets, the shacks, the unkempt beards, the weathered faces, the bleak landscape, the piles of discarded furniture and vehicles, the squirrel dinners, etc. are all supposed to place us in the economically depressed, drug-ravaged Ozarks. And it may very well be that all of these elements are in fact present in such places.

But the problem is that they are also present throughout every film that takes place in such an environment. They may very well reflect reality but at the exact same time they also reflect film convention and even cliche. At what point does realism cross over into hollow stereotype? How can artists capture reality without conforming to the expectations of a mainstream audience that has probably already made up its mind about its subjects? At what point is it ok to take some artistic license and portray an alternative reality, not just through narrative turns but through small details?

- Lastly, is it just me or did the script go a little overboard with the backwoods poetic dialogue? I don't doubt that the Ozarks has its share of wordsmiths and lyricists, but what would you think of a 'hood flick where everybody spoke like Ghostface and Camp-Lo in all circumstances?

Overall, I did enjoy the movie, don't get me wrong. I felt tense and anxious whenever Ree encountered an obstacle, and I was wracked by flashes of dread and paranoia when things weren't going right. Her dignity and idealism were affecting and refreshing and I love the part where she attempts to remind her uncle of the humanity they all lost when cooking meth became their family's #1 priority, over even the simple act of playing the banjo.

Thoughts?

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Thun wrote:I finally saw this movie and I enjoyed it for the most part. A few thoughts:

- The lead actress was almost too pretty and graceful for this role. I say "almost" because on a symbolic level, portraying the character as attractive, poised, clean, etc. signals to us that she is special and worth caring about, that she is the perfect person to take on the burden she faces because she has not been reduced to the ugliness and inhumanity of her milieu. It also makes sense in light of the film's fairly obvious feminism; her comeliness or grace should not get in the way of her asserting herself and breaking the conventions of the highly sexist environment.

On the other hand, I couldn't help but thinking that her looks kind of detracted from the "grit" of it all.

- This is the kind of film where the concept of authenticity cannot be kept out of discussion. So let's discuss it. The details - the dirty t-shirts and flannel, the mangy pets, the shacks, the unkempt beards, the weathered faces, the bleak landscape, the piles of discarded furniture and vehicles, the squirrel dinners, etc. are all supposed to place us in the economically depressed, drug-ravaged Ozarks. And it may very well be that all of these elements are in fact present in such places.

But the problem is that they are also present throughout every film that takes place in such an environment. They may very well reflect reality but at the exact same time they also reflect film convention and even cliche. At what point does realism cross over into hollow stereotype? How can artists capture reality without conforming to the expectations of a mainstream audience that has probably already made up its mind about its subjects? At what point is it ok to take some artistic license and portray an alternative reality, not just through narrative turns but through small details?

- Lastly, is it just me or did the script go a little overboard with the backwoods poetic dialogue? I don't doubt that the Ozarks has its share of wordsmiths and lyricists, but what would you think of a 'hood flick where everybody spoke like Ghostface and Camp-Lo in all circumstances?

Overall, I did enjoy the movie, don't get me wrong. I felt tense and anxious whenever Ree encountered an obstacle, and I was wracked by flashes of dread and paranoia when things weren't going right. Her dignity and idealism were affecting and refreshing and I love the part where she attempts to remind her uncle of the humanity they all lost when cooking meth became their family's #1 priority, over even the simple act of playing the banjo.

Thoughts?
I had zero problem with the actress being too attractive. She wasn't THAT attractive in the film, she was wearing hoodies most of the time. I'm sure there are attractive young redneck girls, so that really wasn't a big problem for me.

I hear you about the setting being potentially cliche, but I think the idea that these kind of places do exist was enough for me to not let cliche get in the way. Also, the writer really created interesting characters that were deeper and more complex than usual for this kind of setting. So for me, the truth that places like this actually exist when combined with how good the characters were portrayed really made any thoughts of it being cliche negligible. Are there really that many redneck movies being made these a la L.A. gangster movies in the 90's?

It's been a while since I've seen it (saw it in the theater), but I don't remember the dialogue being a problem either.

Great film though, it's a really amazing neo-noir.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Thun

Post by Thun »

I hear you about the setting being potentially cliche, but I think the idea that these kind of places do exist was enough for me to not let cliche get in the way.
I don't have any direct experience with these kind of places, so I can't say for certain whether or not the movie depicts them accurately. One certainly gets the idea an accurate, or at least functionally representative depiction is being attempted. But is strict fidelity to such details --- which show up in scores of films that don't make nearly the same attempt at authenticity --- needed in order to evoke the place? That's what I'm asking. I don't have an answer, either.

Also, the writer really created interesting characters that were deeper and more complex than usual for this kind of setting.
Really? Other than Rhee, most of the characters do not strike me as deep or complex. Deep or complex in comparison to a hillbilly caricature, maybe, but that's kind of what I'm getting at -- is this film successfully humanizing a marginalized population or is it taking advantage of existing stereotypes to float the transcendent Rhee along her oddysey? Again, I don't think there is a satisfactory answer, but it is something to think about.
Are there really that many redneck movies being made these a la L.A. gangster movies in the 90's?
Not a cinema expert like some here, so I can't answer that for certain, but the fact that you can point out some all encompassing term like "redneck movies" suggests to me that maybe this movie does try to be too broadly representative. What makes this movie so distinctly Ozarkian? Maybe my lack of experience is clouding my analysis, but what differentiates this movie's milieu from say, Appalachia? To what extent does this film reflect the "reality" of the Ozarks and to what extent does it reflect the mainstream's notion of what "redneck" life is like?

Again - haven't read the book, lived my entire life in the urban or suburban Northeast. Not disparaging the film because it was enjoyable regardless.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Thun wrote:
I hear you about the setting being potentially cliche, but I think the idea that these kind of places do exist was enough for me to not let cliche get in the way.
I don't have any direct experience with these kind of places, so I can't say for certain whether or not the movie depicts them accurately. One certainly gets the idea an accurate, or at least functionally representative depiction is being attempted. But is strict fidelity to such details --- which show up in scores of films that don't make nearly the same attempt at authenticity --- needed in order to evoke the place? That's what I'm asking. I don't have an answer, either.

Also, the writer really created interesting characters that were deeper and more complex than usual for this kind of setting.
Really? Other than Rhee, most of the characters do not strike me as deep or complex. Deep or complex in comparison to a hillbilly caricature, maybe, but that's kind of what I'm getting at -- is this film successfully humanizing a marginalized population or is it taking advantage of existing stereotypes to float the transcendent Rhee along her oddysey? Again, I don't think there is a satisfactory answer, but it is something to think about.
Are there really that many redneck movies being made these a la L.A. gangster movies in the 90's?
Not a cinema expert like some here, so I can't answer that for certain, but the fact that you can point out some all encompassing term like "redneck movies" suggests to me that maybe this movie does try to be too broadly representative. What makes this movie so distinctly Ozarkian? Maybe my lack of experience is clouding my analysis, but what differentiates this movie's milieu from say, Appalachia? To what extent does this film reflect the "reality" of the Ozarks and to what extent does it reflect the mainstream's notion of what "redneck" life is like?

Again - haven't read the book, lived my entire life in the urban or suburban Northeast. Not disparaging the film because it was enjoyable regardless.
I'm a subarbanite too, so I have no direct experience with the Ozarks either, but I've heard enough here and there to assume that there is some basis of truth here. It's fiction so there's obviously some liberties that are going to be taken, but that's true of almost any movie.

Obviously there is a stereotype of what rednecks are, and this movie does include some of these stereotypes, but I did feel like it tried some new things. Particularly, I thought it did a very good job of broadening the roles that women play. When you think of redneck women you generally think of subjugated beings in a patriarchal society. This movie leads you to believe that while that might be the surface observation one would make there are lots of power plays happening with women behind the scenes that people don't see. How true that is in reality I don't know, but I would tend to believe that not all women in that situation are physically abused and to be seen and not heard.

I think it tried to show that not all people are worthless in this environment. That's a theme that seems to permeate a lot of movies that deal with rednecks. "Winter's Bone" shows that some people living there are decent and are just trying to get by. I also think many people can relate to the idea that a worthless brother or husband can bring a family down.

You probably could have set this movie in a number of places around the world and still pulled the move off. All you need is a subculture that is separate from and wary of outsiders.

My question of whether there are a lot of redneck movies being made or not was mostly rhetorical. When I think of rednecks in movies I think of horror movies where they capture the young suburbanite teens, torture, and kill them. There just aren't many movies that I can think of that show them in a dramatic setting.
Last edited by jamrage on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

dp

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

I don't think the details in the film are cliche at all, they reflect reality. I haven't been to the Ozarks, but I've been in rural working class communities in Pennsylvania, Maine, and West Virginia and all the stuff in here feels well observed and true. I think the movie avoids stereotype and cliche first and foremost because it renders most of the characters as calculating, principled people who abide by a code and culture that just doesn't jibe with most people who are from the suburbs or cities; the characters aren't pathetic, ignorant rubes, as they'd be a lot of movies that deal with the same subject matter.

Secondly, this film is a neo-noir, and if you put a character who was superficially different (ie, dressed differently, was well educated, etc.) just for the sake of going against stereotypes it would detract from the tightly-sewn world that the movie tries to create and detract from the atmosphere. This isn't a docudrama. I'd counter your complaint about the dialog being too poetic by saying that, likewise, the film is not a docudrama and is trying to be much more than a B Grade movie about the sticks. It's a movie that portrays an environment, but doesn't want to be limited by that environment. Complaining about realism in this movie is like complaining about the realism in Night of the Hunter or something like that, imo.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

it doesn't really matter how many other movies attempt this setting, what matters is that this one nails it without feeling like a cliche or an attempt to exploit it.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo