What upcoming remakes/sequels are u seeing?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

blessingindisguise

What upcoming remakes/sequels are u seeing?

Post by blessingindisguise »

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3063&p=.htm

It's some stuff like fright night remake, scream 4, sherlock holmes 2, and fast five i'm gonnabe checking out. Nothing fancy just dumb fun.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Maybe Scre4m, maybe The Thing. Probably nothing.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

thread is depressing

Versive

Post by Versive »

The Thing is a prequel and the word is that they went in to the point of analyzing details of the scenery/locations in the original to see how they could have the action lead up to that exact condition. I'm definitely seeing that.

I dug Sherlock Holmes enough to check for the sequel, but what Ritchie really needs to do is that Rocknrolla sequel he promised.

Patches O'Houlihan

Post by Patches O'Houlihan »

Versive wrote:The Thing is a prequel and the word is that they went in to the point of analyzing details of the scenery/locations in the original to see how they could have the action lead up to that exact condition. I'm definitely seeing that.

I dug Sherlock Holmes enough to check for the sequel, but what Ritchie really needs to do is that Rocknrolla sequel he promised.

Word! prob after Holmes 2, then he'll have the banking even if it flops, which it will in the US
A new era has begun and it goes by the numbers 1,3,6

ric

Post by ric »

holmes was unexpectedly dope. not perfect but still sweet

Thun

Post by Thun »

Sorry wrong thread.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Versive wrote: what Ritchie really needs to do is that Rocknrolla sequel he promised.
why? the movie was just a fairly rote attempt to squeeze out whatever little juice was left in the ideas behind lockstock and snatch, it felt like one of the blevel attempts to cash in on the success of those 2 that came out in mass in the early part of the decade. if anything he needs to get away from that kind of shit, not pursue it

holmes sequel is much more promising, especially since the first was a set up to get to Moriarty as the main villian
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

None

Post by None »

drizzle wrote:
Versive wrote: what Ritchie really needs to do is that Rocknrolla sequel he promised.
holmes sequel is much more promising, especially since the first was a set up to get to Moriarty as the main villian
Especially since Lane Pryce is Moriarty.

Versive

Post by Versive »

drizzle wrote:
why? the movie was just a fairly rote attempt to squeeze out whatever little juice was left in the ideas behind lockstock and snatch, it felt like one of the blevel attempts to cash in on the success of those 2 that came out in mass in the early part of the decade. if anything he needs to get away from that kind of shit, not pursue it
Man, I just don't watch movies through that sort of critical lens, especially not Guy Ritchie movies. Don't get me wrong; I enjoy movies that call for closer attention and thoughtful analysis, but when it comes to pulpy action flicks I don't care if it comes across as formulaic or cheesy or whatever. Ritchie's formula works and I was thoroughly entertained. I dug the story, the acting, the action, how it was filmed, everything about it really.

Edit: It also probably helps that I don't have an extensive familiarty with the Euro-crime genre as a whole.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Versive wrote:I dug the story, the acting, the action, how it was filmed, everything about it really.
if you're breaking it down to components like that, you're watching it through a critical lense.

recognizing that this movie is just a retread of his 2 best ones doesn't take thoughtful analysis, it's pretty obvious. and liking the movie doesn't negate those similarities, in some ways it actually confirms them - you like what he did in the other 2 and the style of those still appeals to you, hence you like this one too.

don't get me wrong, i don't have a problem with cheesy formulaic action movies, a very large portion of my collection is devoted to exactly that. BUT, there's a difference between movies that put some kind of life into the old formula and execute it with flair, and those that just go through the motions to cash in on it. which fall in the former and which fall into the latter is debatable, based on personal opinion. obviously in this case we have a different opinion.
Last edited by drizzle on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Both the Fright Night remake and prequel to The Thing fill me with dread and not the good kind.

Looking forward to Piranha 3DD.

Post by 360 »

I would like to add that as much as Sherlock Holmes is a remake, it isn't. It's more of an innovation. Classic and timeless stories will be remade forever due to the fact that that's what they are, classic and timeless. It is how they are approached which makes each new version great.

Batman is a perfect example.

These are more than remakes, they are innovative revisions for a new era.

I have been a fan of Sherlock Holmes since I was a little kid so I was obviously excited when it was being redone and I think Ritchie did an excellent job. The sequel will be amazing and will also give way to a whole new franchise. Definitely expect to see, at least, 2-3 more Sherlock films made.

There is a difference between a remake and a modern revision. Of course, it is up to use to be able to make the distinction.

There are cool remakes, as well, but remakes suck in general.

The I Spit On Your Grave remake was awesome, though.
Last edited by 360 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Post by 360 »

Yea, see. That's heartbreaking.

To clarify my previous post, a film that was made to be a film and wasn't a series of novels prior shouldn't be remade.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Spartan wrote:Looking forward to Piranha 3DD.
:gyeah: :gyeah:
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

did not know that was a real thing. :gyeah: :gyeah: still stands

am actually looking forward to the new scream primarily for the likability of a good chunk of the cast. alison brie and seth cohen up in the same flick!
moved by duck muscles

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

LilLeftBrain wrote:did not know that was a real thing. :gyeah: :gyeah: still stands
It's real alright, no Aja in the director's seat though.
http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=29246

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Completely forgot The Wicker Tree is coming out maybe this year. Apparently not a sequel but a companion piece to the original The Wicker Man film. Never read Robin Hardy's book Cowboys For Christ which the film is based upon but I'm glad he's directing this.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbUKm8aAlBQ?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbUKm8aAlBQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

That has me interested ^

I'm actually looking forward to this sequel being released outside of Norway the most, even if it's bound to be disappointing with a new director and after two incredibly good previous efforts

Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB