Anthony Bourdain The Layover

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Harry Hater

Anthony Bourdain The Layover

Post by Harry Hater »

Anthony Bourdains got a new show called the layover. Its about what to do when you only have a day or two in a city your flying through. Its pretty much No Reservations in a shorter time span.

Anybody else check this? Action Bronson has a little cameo in the 2nd episode which is about New York.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I peeped it and I liked it but I don't see a huge difference between this show and No reservations. I'll watch both but it just seems like a subtle difference to make a completely different show out of.

alpha

Post by alpha »

saw the premiere. love his shows. mostly that im jealous of his job.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i sometimes pretend he is my friend. the action cameo was totally :rofl:

RwithTF

Post by RwithTF »

Seeing Action was great. I love the show, although it's supposed to be about things to do when you have a half a day to a day and a half in a place. He kind of went to places that are gonna be hard to get into and will have you waiting an hour to have. Still cool though.
The singapore episode was good as well.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Philaflava wrote:i sometimes pretend he is my friend.

:epic:

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

I like this one better, no random stories of cubain baseball glory or marginalization of random cultures i give two shits about, just get to the food/sites and get out.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Dap

Post by Dap »

had no idea he has a new show. this on travel channel as well?

AMASK

Post by AMASK »

"man, all i do every day is smoke weed...drive around....and look for artisinal breads and shit man."
" and yo they ain't even like normal stabbings yahmean?...they just randomly stabbing dudes"

action bronson with the quotables.

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

who has the better job? Bourdain or the guy who does Three Sheets (I forget his name)? Used to watch Three Sheets religiously back when my cable service carried the Mojo channel. Anyone else seen that shit?

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

fuck, i completely forgot about this

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude wrote:who has the better job? Bourdain or the guy who does Three Sheets (I forget his name)? Used to watch Three Sheets religiously back when my cable service carried the Mojo channel. Anyone else seen that shit?
Zane Lamprey. He's got another show called Drinking Made Easy. I think Bourdain has the better job tho, better food and doesnt have to drink if he doesnt feel like it. Shows like these make great tv but I doubt that either of what they do is as glamorous as it looks once its all edited.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

^^^ The whole concept of the The Layover (ie, a quick trip) was created so Bourdain wouldn't have to spend as much time on the road. With travel and everything an episode of No Res takes a week to film. For seasons five and six this fool basically spent two years on the road. He got re-married a couple years ago and wasn't really fucking with that. Tom Collichio was giving him shit about how much work he had to do to have a TV show, which is how he ended up a one of the judges for Top Chef -- testing it out. He was looking to host a competition show, a show just set in the U.S., or a show with shorter trips and they went with the third one.

Leaving out a lot of details, but it's the basic contours of the story.

Edit: Another good story (which has come out publicly now) -- Brew Masters, the show about Dogfish Head Brewery on the Travel Channel comes from the same folks who do The Layover and No Res. It had a half season order. It was doing really well, and was basically considered to be a lock to get picked up for the full season and potentially longer. Out of the blue Travel Channel hit them up and said they were cancelling the show. They couldn't figure out what the fuck happened, until they later learned that Anheuser- Busch threatened to pull all of their advertising from the Travel Channel if they didn't yank the show. Travel Channel caved, so the show is now billed as a "six part documentary series" (as if that was the intention from the beginning -- it was intended to be a multi-year reality series a la Pawn Stars, etc. )

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:I like this one better, no random stories of cubain baseball glory or marginalization of random cultures i give two shits about, just get to the food/sites and get out.
This is weird, coming from a Ru who said this:
Tweak Da Leak wrote:If you ever chill wit these Inuit niggas in Alaska you would know how foolhardy vegetarianism is for human beings.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

ric

Post by ric »

PopeyeJones wrote:^^^ The whole concept of the The Layover (ie, a quick trip) was created so Bourdain wouldn't have to spend as much time on the road. With travel and everything an episode of No Res takes a week to film. For seasons five and six this fool basically spent two years on the road. He got re-married a couple years ago and wasn't really fucking with that. Tom Collichio was giving him shit about how much work he had to do to have a TV show, which is how he ended up a one of the judges for Top Chef -- testing it out. He was looking to host a competition show, a show just set in the U.S., or a show with shorter trips and they went with the third one.

Edit: Another good story (which has come out publicly now) -- Brew Masters, the show about Dogfish Head Brewery on the Travel Channel comes from the same folks who do The Layover and No Res. It had a half season order. It was doing really well, and was basically considered to be a lock to get picked up for the full season and potentially longer. Out of the blue Travel Channel hit them up and said they were cancelling the show. They couldn't figure out what the fuck happened, until they later learned that Anheuser- Busch threatened to pull all of their advertising from the Travel Channel if they didn't yank the show. Travel Channel caved, so the show is now billed as a "six part documentary series" (as if that was the intention from the beginning -- it was intended to be a multi-year reality series a la Pawn Stars, etc. )
excellent post. love bourdain. if he was a judge/host on top chef id actually watch it. strangely, i dont watch a lot of tv, and ive only seen like 5 no reservations episodes. i dont care about beer but i might actually watch that brewmasters show. a bourdaine show just set in the US would really only work for like one or two seasons at best

alpha

Post by alpha »

good look on the brew masters show. dogfish head is one of my fav brewerys.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ric wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:^^^ The whole concept of the The Layover (ie, a quick trip) was created so Bourdain wouldn't have to spend as much time on the road. With travel and everything an episode of No Res takes a week to film. For seasons five and six this fool basically spent two years on the road. He got re-married a couple years ago and wasn't really fucking with that. Tom Collichio was giving him shit about how much work he had to do to have a TV show, which is how he ended up a one of the judges for Top Chef -- testing it out. He was looking to host a competition show, a show just set in the U.S., or a show with shorter trips and they went with the third one.

excellent post.
yup. AB is pretty much the coolest guy alive in my book.

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

ric wrote:

excellent post. love bourdain. if he was a judge/host on top chef id actually watch it. strangely, i dont watch a lot of tv, and ive only seen like 5 no reservations episodes. i dont care about beer but i might actually watch that brewmasters show. a bourdaine show just set in the US would really only work for like one or two seasons at best
Are you more of a fan of his writing? Youre missing out on No Reservations, show is probably one of my favorite things to watch on tv.

ric

Post by ric »

yeah i read and re-read the books. they are better than great.

AMASK

Post by AMASK »

^ just read kitchen confidential, is medium raw a good follow up?

im skeptical in that his lack of celebrity and public image was part of what made KC so good.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Brew Masters was a discovery joint brah
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

I mentioned this in another thread but when Bourdain was in Seattle filming an episode of No Reservations a few years ago my boy, who is a chef, and I ran into him In a bar where he was chilling by himself. We got to hang out with him for like an hour and a half and shoot the shit and drink beers with him. My boy and him talked shop and we talked about a gang of Shit. He was super fucking cool and really down to earth. Seriously one of the coolest people I've ever met.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Prophecy wrote:

Oops. Good catch. Yeah. Same story but Discovery. That production Co mostly works with Travel. Bourdain tweeted about this, which is how it got out.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Why is Bourdain so likable then you got guys like Chang who aren't?

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Prophecy wrote:

Oops. Good catch. Yeah. Same story but Discovery. That production Co mostly works with Travel. Bourdain tweeted about this, which is how it got out.
Yeah i remember hearing about it a year or so back via thread about Bourdain's tweets on beer advocate.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Philaflava wrote:Why is Bourdain so likable then you got guys like Chang who aren't?
I bet Chang is a cool dude though but he has a dickish air about him. Bourdain just more humble.

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

http://beerwarsmovie.com/

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

^^^^^ :cheers:

Joints

Post by Joints »

Anybody got links to Brewmasters episodes? Both Bourdain and Sam from Dogfish have interesting videos on Talks@Google.

ric

Post by ric »

AMASK wrote:^ just read kitchen confidential, is medium raw a good follow up?

im skeptical in that his lack of celebrity and public image was part of what made KC so good.
there is no other bourdain book that really does what kitchen confidential does, which is take you inside the kitchen and front office. medium raw takes you 'behind the curtain' but its not exactly the same.

i recommend The Nasty Bits, though. its a collection of stuff that didnt make Kitchen Confidential or Cooks Tour or No Reservations or an article.