movie/tv marathons

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

alpha

movie/tv marathons

Post by alpha »

Recently inspired by a friend who watched all the LOTR extended editions in one day.
Planning on watching Kill Bill vol 1 and 2 back to back tonight with some brews and a few joints.

any stories y'all got? suggestions besides the obvious ones?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: movie/tv marathons

Post by drizzle »

did the extended lotr before, twice actually. once overnight on blow, once during a rainy day on weed only. it was glorious

i've done it with tv shows too - whole seasons of sopranos knocked out in a day

if you don't mind wasting a day on your ass doing absolutely nothing and being antisocial, i would highly recommend doing a day like this once in a while. i honestly relish them, being i'm generally lazy and antisocial by nature
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Planning a mini marathon of Homicide: Life On The Street on Labor Day. Looking forward like a mug.

Pronay

Post by Pronay »

skipped studying for all of my finals in college doing the wire hbo marathons immediately before season 5 started, still made it through (barely in 1 case) but that was my first time being so hooked by a show to power through seasons so quickly

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

I just did a marathon of the Bourne trilogy last night because I'm going to see the new "Bourne" movie. It was pretty good except for the fact that the movies are exactly the same.

But yeah, it's fun to do this every once in a while. It definitely gives you an appreciation of the greater story arc as a whole as well as how the individual films match up against each other.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

jamrage wrote:It was pretty good except for the fact that the movies are exactly the same.
movie 1: he doesn't remember shit
movie 2: there's more shit he doesn't remember
movie 3: oh come the fuck on now he already remembers all of this in the last one
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

:rofl:

alpha

Post by alpha »

:lol:

alpha

Post by alpha »

Ok here's a good one. Anyone ever attempt a 24 marathon?

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

alpha wrote:Ok here's a good one. Anyone ever attempt a 24 marathon?
tv/movies? no. call of duty? yup

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Ramen wrote:
alpha wrote:Ok here's a good one. Anyone ever attempt a 24 marathon?
tv/movies? no. call of duty? yup
I think he means the show 24.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

fuck, that makes sense. in that case nope.

I've been thinking recently of running thru Lost, anyone ever go back and re watch a series this long? I know someone in the movies you watched today thread said they have been rewatching the x files, can't remember who.

alpha

Post by alpha »

My buddy ran through lost in about a month and a half.
And yeah I meant the show 24

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Ramen wrote:fuck, that makes sense. in that case nope.

I've been thinking recently of running thru Lost, anyone ever go back and re watch a series this long? I know someone in the movies you watched today thread said they have been rewatching the x files, can't remember who.
That was probably me. I still have a couple seasons to go, been spacing them out with other shit so I don't burn out on them.

I pretty much exclusively marathon shit. In addition to X-files, this year I've been rewatching all of The Sopranos (ran through seasons 1-5 in the last 2 months), catching up on Battlestar Galactica for the first time (first 3 seasons down), rewatching Seinfeld (started end of last year, just finished season 7), etc. Plan on watching the last 5 seasons of Buffy in the near future too. Got the Community Season 3 dvd in the mail yesterday and I'm on the third disc already.
I haven't finished Friday Night Lights yet, but i think I watched each of the first three seasons in one sitting each.

Never attempted a 24 season in a day, that's like 18 hours and a fuckton of adderall. I do want to go back and watch them all though.
Have a hard time marathoning movies, for some reason they always make me sleepy but TV marathons I barely blink.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Where are you at with the X-Files? You don't want to venture past Season 4.

I've seen certain episodes from the first four seasons 20+ times by now. All the shit having to do with aliens has no replay value. The stand-alone episodes are the reason why I hold the series in such a high regard. "Darkness Falls" from Season 1 would be my all-time favorite, followed closely by the Eugene Tooms episodes.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I have 3 seasons to go, but I watched a sizeable chunk of the later season episodes when they were in syndication.
Darkness Falls is a good one. My favorite is probably the tribute to The Thing episode called Ice.
Not really good at remembering episode names but the first two season finales were great and I really like the one where Skinner's accused of murder and the one where we get the cigarette guys backstory.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Tommy Bunz wrote:My favorite is probably the tribute to The Thing episode called Ice.
Yeah, that's a great one.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

I've marathoned seasons of the the Wire, the Sopranos, Oz, The Shield, and Sons of Anarchy.

A couple of my friends and I have been discussing a 24 hour basketball movie marathon. We'll probably do it (nh) at the end of this year.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Have done:

The Office S1-S7

The Shield S1-S4

Twighlight Zone S1-S5
UBM CD COMING SOON

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

oh and Morel Orel S1-S3 multiple times.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

citizen

Post by citizen »

Roy Johnson wrote:Where are you at with the X-Files? You don't want to venture past Season 4.

I've seen certain episodes from the first four seasons 20+ times by now. All the shit having to do with aliens has no replay value. The stand-alone episodes are the reason why I hold the series in such a high regard. "Darkness Falls" from Season 1 would be my all-time favorite, followed closely by the Eugene Tooms episodes.
whut? i feel just the opposite, i love almost all the alien/conpisracy stuff, i am on season 6 right now, season 5 and 6 have some great moments, especially Drive in season 6

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

i watched 20+ seasons of survivor in about 2 months.. lol kinda like a marathon but i obv had to take soome breaks since there's a ridiculous amount of survivor watching someone can do

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

citizen wrote:
Roy Johnson wrote:Where are you at with the X-Files? You don't want to venture past Season 4.

whut? i feel just the opposite, i love almost all the alien/conpisracy stuff, i am on season 6 right now, season 5 and 6 have some great moments, especially Drive in season 6
To say that it has no replay value doesn't necessarily mean that it sucks. I think the alien/conspiracy stuff is okay. You may feel the same way at some point.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

do you guys feel a social disconnect watching shows post first run? not having to wait a whole week between episodes or months between seasons is great. But I think what makes shows better is the discussion and theories of what direction the show may or may not be taking.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

tehgiftofgab wrote:i watched 20+ seasons of survivor in about 2 months.. lol kinda like a marathon but i obv had to take soome breaks since there's a ridiculous amount of survivor watching someone can do
why would anyone watch 20 seasons of survivor? Are you a forty-five year old housewife?

And can you help me pick out some new window treatments for my house?

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Ramen wrote:do you guys feel a social disconnect watching shows post first run? not having to wait a whole week between episodes or months between seasons is great. But I think what makes shows better is the discussion and theories of what direction the show may or may not be taking.

I sometimes revisit message board discussions on TWOP to see where people thought plot lines would go, I think shows become more cohesive marathon style
UBM CD COMING SOON

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

At least once a year I watch the entire Trailer Park boys series in a weekend. It isn't that much, because they dont have many episodes in each season, but I watch all the specials and shit too.

The only other TV show I watch over and over again is Arrested Development

As far as movies:

Original Star Wars trilogy
Indiana Jones trilogy
Die Hard
Dirty Harry
Lone Wolf and Cub
I have a Jackie Chan Marathon usually once or twice a year. I watch all the Jackie Chan movies that I own. It is hard to do in one day, but I span it over a few days.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

spot on w tweak nowadays, wouldnt have used to of been. will also still go back and read here and there (really just sepinwall, :P:, ocassionaly av club) but have no problem at all being half a season or a full season back on any drama that isn't justified or TVD
moved by duck muscles

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

I did a Truffaut marathon once, it was early Truffaut. I think the line up went something like this 400 Blows, Jules and Jim, Shoot the Piano Player, Farenheit 451, and The Bride Wore Black. I mostly wanted to smoke cigarettes and drink espresso afterwards.

I've done all 6 star wars over two days. I don't know how you fuckers watch LOTR extended??????????? FUCK! The first one is great I can barely sit through the other two. I went through the entire LOST series in like 6 weeks I think? I thought it made for a much more enjoyable experience because story lines across years were so fresh I could connect them easily. I've wanted to go back and watch the first 3 seasons of lost but just haven't done it yet.