Texts From Bennett: the Novel

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

maclethal

Texts From Bennett: the Novel

Post by maclethal »

Simon & Schuster commissioned the epistolary novel of my Tumblr blog, Texts From Bennett several months ago.

I just wanted to chat with anyone on here who has written a full length novel, or plans on doing it, about how exhilarating and remarkably challenging of an experience it is. I've always wanted to write scripts and books and stuff, and would start them, write a few scenes, or 40-50 pages etc. then lose interest and move to something else, or would never actually see it through to the end.

But this is the real deal. It's a roughly 224 page, 60,000 word novel. Three acts, with a subversive, socioeconomic message, conflicted characters that change and learn valuable life lessons, and a lot of funny material that (I hope) feels edgy, and deftly written. Half of it is based on biographical elements, the other half is fiction. It's weird, and I can't give much away in case anyone here decides to read it.

For anyone who's ever written a novel/feature length screenplay, what were the most difficult things for you to achieve during the journey of writing the story? What lessons did you learn about the mechanics of a story? I'm not really having the problems I thought I'd have. The temptation to use a Deus ex machina, so to speak, never popped up. The ending is actually something I feel is well-earned, solves enough conflicts to provide reader relief, but also presents a couple of tiny challenges/questions.

The thing I never imagined being an issue, that has screwed with me the most, is how pacing can completely dictate the plausibility of the story. The main conflicts of a story need to be 100% organic, and naturally developed from inside of the characters, not the outside environment, or merely the will of the author. Much easier said than done. The book, "Story" by Robert McKee (from Adaptation) has been Biblical with how it has helped me structure it.

It's so funny how all of us watch films and shows, and read books, thinking we could just sit down and pen a masterpiece without hesitation. Then you actually try it, and half of your hair falls out from frustration (in my case, the other half). Turning it in in 10 days. Wish me luck.

Thanks in advance for reading/replying with your own anecdotes.
A tuna that smells like pussy is better than a pussy that smells like tuna. -Anonymous

Sylissez

Re: Texts From Bennett: the Novel

Post by Sylissez »

Congrats. Was skeptical about it when I initially heard of your book deal, but this honestly sounds like something I'll check for.

I've never attempted anything as ambitious as a 200+page book, but I can relate to having about 10-15 "ideas" of varying length (nh) collecting dust in my bedroom. Most of which seemed like (some still do) good ideas, only for me to hit unexpected road blocks where I just couldn't plausibly resolve what was happening without throwing everything out the window.

In other words, I have zero advice. Best of luck.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

maclethal wrote:a subversive, socioeconomic message
Do you care to elaborate on this a bit?

Good luck with your book.

Hitchcock:
“There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it.”
“Drama is life with the dull parts left out.”
“Always make the audience suffer as much as possible.”
“Puns are the highest form of literature.”
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Try sending a pm to Cleanhobo. He doesn't post anymore but he wrote a script years ago.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

I've written several feature length scripts. The writing is usually the easiest part, I can fly through a story once I have it fully realized in my head. The most challenging thing is always revisions, to really step back and look at the world you created and then decide what goes and what stays. I'm not sure if anyone has ever written anything in one shot and then said "perfect". It's revising, and revising, and revising that always hurts the most but in the end it's what can make a decent story a great one or what can make you realize you should just throw it away. The first script I wrote was picked up, for a very meager price, and now I don't own the rights for I think like a million years and it shows no signs of going forward. It was exciting to have anyone willing to pay for words on a paper but with my last two I've been a lot more hesitant to sell without either A. Making a shit ton off of it, or B. Getting to make it myself. Good luck on the book.

ric

Post by ric »

thats fucking awesome. where will it be sold? is it a real book or an e book/pdf? please do real book if possible.

ive never done anything that was 200 pages but the pacing is important, the revision is super important in terms of process (as much as you or i want to be kerouac the shits just not happening). keep your revisions though. i have found that to be helpful for longer projects.

the hardest thing for me is establishing that initial foundation which manages to include every important piece of fact but that is economical and present throughout the piece and not in the way of what is going on later. once i have that foundation built i can usually even build more factual foundation later and its just a matter of procedure and putting the shit in the right place

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

maclethal wrote:Story by Robert McKee...
Good read.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

this sounds like the worst idea since hitler. or cancer. or hitler covered cancer.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

If there was ever a sign that America is finished as a global superpower, it's that someone wants to publish a Mac Lethal novel.

Post by 360 »

LOL ^

Dude, don't write it is the best advice anyone can give you. You've never written anything like this. Writing is an art that takes years and years hone. Hire someone to write it.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

A novel about an irrelevant white rapper finding a glimmer of deep corner internet fame by shittily rapping about waffles and then texting himself as a cultural/racist stereotype cousin in a completely unfunny way? Or is it about the fake cousin? Or about the short rise and not so tragic fall of a faggot in the social media new world order? Insight into A Whimper In the Digital Age? Internet Famous: Kinda? I've Been Rapping For A Long Time Guys?

Good for you and all that jazz though!

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

blastmaster wrote:A novel about an irrelevant white rapper finding a glimmer of deep corner internet fame by shittily rapping about waffles and then texting himself as a cultural/racist stereotype cousin in a completely unfunny way? Or is it about the fake cousin? Or about the short rise and not so tragic fall of a faggot in the social media new world order? Insight into A Whimper In the Digital Age? Internet Famous: Kinda? I've Been Rapping For A Long Time Guys?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

blastmaster wrote:A novel about an irrelevant white rapper finding a glimmer of deep corner internet fame by shittily rapping about waffles and then texting himself as a cultural/racist stereotype cousin in a completely unfunny way? Or is it about the fake cousin? Or about the short rise and not so tragic fall of a faggot in the social media new world order? Insight into A Whimper In the Digital Age? Internet Famous: Kinda? I've Been Rapping For A Long Time Guys?

Promise you won't leave again

PEACE

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

:lol: :copy:

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

books are hot like raider starter jackets

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Sounds like someone's mad.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

ardamus wrote:

I know, right! It's cool. Mac struggled to find success with rap a lot longer than you have so far. Keep plugging away. Some day you will find your very own Texts From Bennett..

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

blastmaster wrote:
ardamus wrote:

I know, right! It's cool. Mac struggled to find success with rap a lot longer than you have so far. Keep plugging away. Some day you will find your very own Texts From Bennett..
With you posting, I think I already have. Between this and that bitch shit you said to Selfsays, you've been on your usual fuckboy shit.

:leon:
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

it seems this shit is dropping next month...

http://www.amazon.com/Texts-Bennett-Mac ... om+bennett

JaH BLaZe

Post by JaH BLaZe »

marketed minstrelcy. man fuck that

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

just reading the amazon description makes me think this is a movie in a few years
Nets 2022