Room 237 (aka that new documentary about The Shining)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Room 237 (aka that new documentary about The Shining)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Anybody seen this yet?

What's the :phila:'s preferred theory on The Shining's meaning then : Native-American genocide? The Holocaust, Kubrick's confession for faking teh Apollo 11 moon landing? Simple exercise in trolling Stephen King?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: Room 237 (aka that new documentary about The Shining)

Post by drizzle »

which theory explains the furry BJ? that's teh one i'm gonna run with
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Honestly, I try to stay away from movie theories that don't come directly from the filmmaker's themselves.
I'd be fucking pissed if I watched that doc, saw some dumb theory that actually made sense and then it ruined one of the best horror movies ever made for me.
Right now I can watch it without making any connections to anything political and enjoy it strictly as entertainment, and I want it to stay that way.

I was actually supposed to finally see this on a big screen on Monday night, was looking forward to it for months, and then it was cancelled because of fucking hurricane Sandy. Cunt.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Death of the author Tommy
UBM CD COMING SOON

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Is this the one where the director thinks everything adds up to 237? like the designs on the carpet and shit?

The Aluminum Falcon

Post by The Aluminum Falcon »

It has been a long time since I read the book, but it always bothered me that it was room 237 in the movie instead of 217 as it was in the book. Honestly the bigger alterations Kubrick made to the story I enjoyed, but that small, completely unnecessary change always irked me. It probably drove King nuts as well and led him to become the domineering dipshit who always had the final say, and stupid cameo appearance, in his watered down made for TV adaptions of his phenomenal books. Not gonna really front on IT, that was outstanding considering the limitations, but movie-wise I feel there is a lot of unrealized potential with some of King's earlier work.

I'll probably end up watching this with a good deal of skepticism in mind.

Theory on why Kubrick switched it from room 217 to 237 (the Moon was thought to be 237 million miles from Earth at that point) :

drizzle wrote:which theory explains the furry BJ? that's teh one i'm gonna run with
Ukranian bias from Drizzle right here since the bear represents Russia during the cold war.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

So it's not about the three times winner of the Grand National then?

Versive

Post by Versive »

I never tried to assign it an an allegorical interpretation. It stands on it own as the greatest horror film of all time and that's enough for me.

Honestly I'd never heard any of those theories before. I guess I don't really look into film analysis all that much. That Apollo hoax video is some quality conspiracy theory shit right there, probably ludicrous but semi-creepy nonetheless. I wonder if they'll address it in the doc.

jimmy78

Post by jimmy78 »

I watched this last week.

Some really interesting stuff about how Kubrick shoots his flicks and a bit of meaning behind some of those creepy, long shots.

Sadly, most of this film was narrated by some cackling moron spotting evidence that Kubrick helped film the 'faked' moon landing. Essentially this was based around the fact Danny has a jumper with a rocket on it... Totally ruined what could have been a really good doc about an interesting film / film maker.

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

Here's another thing... Someone played The Shining forwards and backwards over each other. Came up with some creepy results:

http://kdk12.tumblr.com/post/4879566957 ... -backwards

Mercuthio

Post by Mercuthio »

The Frankest wrote:Here's another thing... Someone played The Shining forwards and backwards over each other. Came up with some creepy results:

http://kdk12.tumblr.com/post/4879566957 ... -backwards
damn. some of these images are very cool. and fuckin' creepy indeed.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

You could do this with Avatar if you had the time and determination. I hate things like this. Let the director tell me what he was trying to say and stop thinking you found some diabolical behind-the-scenes bullshit.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://www.theoverlookhotel.com/post/41 ... ing-of-the
Screenplay for the deleted original ending of The Shining.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Cash Rulz wrote:I hate things like this. Let the director tell me what he was trying to say and stop thinking you found some diabolical behind-the-scenes bullshit.
:lol:

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Balkongen Loungin' wrote:Theory on why Kubrick switched it from room 217 to 237 (the Moon was thought to be 237 million miles from Earth at that point) :

drizzle wrote:which theory explains the furry BJ? that's teh one i'm gonna run with
Ukranian bias from Drizzle right here since the bear represents Russia during the cold war.
Pretty sure there was no wierd reason for the number change at all, in fact it was very practical.
One of the hotels they were shooting in actually had a room 217 and didn't want guests to refuse to rent that room so they changed it to a similar number that didn't exist in the building. Can't remember where I read that...maybe the big Kubrick book.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

death of the author bro.
UBM CD COMING SOON

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Is there a torrent of this out there, haven't been able to find shit.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

jamrage wrote:Is there a torrent of this out there, haven't been able to find shit.
nah i've been waiting forever. Nothing yet.

For what it's worth, I definitely buy into the theory that Kubrick was given carte blanche after faking the moon landings; how else could a film as atrocious as Eyes Wide Shut have ever been funded/released without Kubrick having some sort of secrete & rare power????

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

From Pixar filmmaker to film historian, it’s a great day to be director Lee Unkrich, and in turn, one hell of a day to be a fan of Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining.

Apparently, according to Slate, the director and Kubrick fansite runner (he runs the site The Overlook Hotel) has discovered a lost ending to the beloved Kubrick horror picture, and it’s quite an interesting bit of history.

When the film was originally shipped to theaters, it was two minutes longer than its current runtime, and now we know what the hell he had decided to snip. The film was to end with a scene in a hospital, revealing that Jack’s body hadn’t been discovered, ending with Danny being given a tennis ball. Talk about creepy as all get out. Fade to black, and the film would conclude with a title card stating that the Overlook is still standing, and that it’s overcome this event and all of the tragedies prior.

Unkrich has the full script, and now, the final scene is available to be read here. Personally, I think the film is already a stunning piece of work, but while this original ending sounds a tad silly, I think it would have worked just as fine. It’s a bit more clichéd and “twist” focused, but it would have been a fine conclusion to an absolute masterpiece.
http://criterioncast.com/news/lost-endi ... uncovered/

citizen

Post by citizen »

^^ just watched, some intersting points, some stretches and some just plain crazy stuff, i think the commentary in the last few minutes really ties it all together really well

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Finally hit torrents.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

thought this was tons o fun. the forward/backwards bit esp
the luggage turning into tourists during a fade has really stuck with me for some reason or another
moved by duck muscles

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Watching this right now. Funniest movie I've seen in a while.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Worst movie I've watched so far this year and pretty much the definitive argument that serious film criticism is a complete waste of fucking time.
There's about 20 minutes of interesting observations about the movie sandwiched around an endless barrage of inane bullshit.

Panama

Post by Panama »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Worst movie I've watched so far this year and pretty much the definitive argument that serious film criticism is a complete waste of fucking time.
There's about 20 minutes of interesting observations about the movie sandwiched around an endless barrage of inane bullshit.

That's what made it interesting to me. It was pretty obvious early on that some of these individual were pretty off, but I enjoyed hearing their theories out of pure curiously. To me it's not about whether or not the theories were correct, but rather how different people can interpret a film (and find meaning and importance).

I absolutely love this doc