Spike Lee's "Inside Man" (Review)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Brougham33

Spike Lee's "Inside Man" (Review)

Post by Brougham33 »

Trailer:http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/insideman/
Review:
Grade: A

Spike Lee's new crime drama, Inside Man, is nothing short of brilliant. It's also one of the two or three best films he has made in his twenty-year career, along with Do the Right Thing and He Got Game.

At once celebrating, deconstructing and surpassing the heist films and police corruption movies of the 1970s, Lee joins forced with producer Brian Grazer to craft a pressure-cooker thriller. After making many social commentary films, such as Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X, Jungle Fever, The 25th Hour, Lee seems reenergized by the opportunity to helm an interlocking puzzle, in which no piece is what it seems to be.

It's a pleasant surprise to realize that the multi-layered and both character and plot-driven screenplay, in which no detail is unimportant, and no clue is a throwaway, was written by a newcomer, Russell Gewirtz.

This is Lee's fourth teaming with Denzel Washington, following Mo' Better Blues, Malcolm X, and He Got Game, a track record that speaks for itself. Washington plays Keith Frazier, a newly promoted detective, who must rise above a corruption scandal. Clive Owen is Dalton Russell, a brilliant criminal who upends what we think we know about a bank robbery. Jodie Foster is cast as Madeline White, a mysterious Manhattan power broker who gets accomplished exactly what her clients pay top dollar for.

In Inside Man, Washington, Owen, and Foster explore the lure of power, the ugliness of greed, and the mystery of a seemingly perfect robbery that leaves no traces. In this skillfully written and tightly directed thriller, the powerhouse actors play tough New Yorkers, who must outwit one another in order to protect competing interests. The three key players collide in a potboiler that teases the audience with tricks of camera and twists of plot.

Gewirtz has crafted a fresh, intriguing take on the genre of the bank robbery heist that surpasses in narrative complexity, multi-layered characterization, and both political and moral ambiguity the best samplers of the popular genre, including Sidney Lumet's 1974 masterpiece, Dog Day Afternoon, to which Inside Man alludes to directly.

The film is framed by Russell's voice-over narration, which begins and ends the story. Addressing the viewers directly, Owen encourages them "to pay strict attention to what I say, because I choose my words carefully, and I never repeat myself." His dictum holds true as we chase the various players across darkened rooms and corridors of power to see, who will be scammed by whom, and who will wind up on top.

It starts out simply enough, when four people dressed in painters' outfits march into the bust lobby of Manhattan Trust Bank, a cornerstone Wall Street branch of a worldwide financial institution. Within seconds, the costumed robbers place the bank under a surgically planned siege, and the 50 or so patrons and staff become unwitting pawns in an air-light heist.

The first reel is familiar from heist movies, though, just when you say to yourself, this is a remake or variation of Dog Day Afternoon, with Own playing the Pacino part, the movie shifts direction and tone and you realize you're in a totally different milieu.

NYPD hostage negotiators, Detectives Keith Frazier (Washington) and Bill Mitchell (Chiwetel Ejiofor, recently seen in Dirty Pretty Things) are dispatched to the scene with orders to establish contact with the ringleader Russell, and ensure safe release of the hostages.

Working with Emergency Services Unit (ESU) Captain John Darius (Willem Dafoe), the team is hopeful that the situation can be peacefully diffused and that control of the bank and release of those inside can be secured in short order.

To say that things don't progress as planned is an understatement. Russell proves an unexpectedly canny opponent, clever, calm, and in total command. He's a puppet master (in more senses than one), with a meticulous plan to disorient and confuse not only the hostages but also the authorities.

Meanwhile, outside, the crowd of New Yorkers grows as the situation becomes increasingly tense. Frazier's superiors become more concerned about his ability to keep the standoff from spiraling out of control

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

who wrote this review?
definitely want to see this

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

also people need to pick this up its a great deal.......

20 bucks or less at some places.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

since i saw the first trailer, i been wanting to see this.

i'll see anything with spike lee's name on it.

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

Yeah, I've also been excited about this since I've seen the trailer. I didn't know it was "a Spike Lee joint" until a week or so ago, which made me want to see it even more.

the first great movie of the year?

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

review has me amped to see it, didn't expect a typo though

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

can't wait to peep this.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Had no idea it was by Spike Lee. Really want to see it now.

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

Positive A wrote:Had no idea it was by Spike Lee. Really want to see it now.

Serious. Denzel always gets next level in spike lee joints

Lance Goodthrust

Post by Lance Goodthrust »

So many of us had no idea this was a Spike Lee movie. Anybody else think that is on purpose? It has to be, right? So lets look at the bigger question. Was this to try and trick Spike haters into seeing it or is Spike no longer a marketable, ground breaking film maker after serving up flops and snoozers for a while now?

Spiccoli

Post by Spiccoli »

Vlad Analogue wrote:

i could have sworn this was just produced by spike lee. id be very happy to find out i was wrong. can anyone provide further proof that this is under his direction??

agreed that denzel was meant to work under spike lees direction. they definitely feed off each other (homo?) when they work together.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Spiccoli wrote:
Vlad Analogue wrote:

i could have sworn this was just produced by spike lee. id be very happy to find out i was wrong. can anyone provide further proof that this is under his direction??

agreed that denzel was meant to work under spike lees direction. they definitely feed off each other (homo?) when they work together.
imdb says spike directed it.

Spiccoli

Post by Spiccoli »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
Spiccoli wrote:
Vlad Analogue wrote:

imdb says spike directed it.
hahah yeah i just went over there after i posted this. wow, most anticipated without a doubt

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

At once celebrating, deconstructing and surpassing the heist films and police corruption movies of the 1970s
this got me a little hard
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Haven't been this hyped to see a movie in quite some time. I really hope he can recover from the heavy-handed mediocrity of Bamboozled.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

ChristPuncher wrote:Yeah, I've also been excited about this since I've seen the trailer. I didn't know it was "a Spike Lee joint" until a week or so ago, which made me want to see it even more.

the first great movie of the year?
word and word up
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

Lance Goodthrust wrote:
So many of us had no idea this was a Spike Lee movie. Anybody else think that is on purpose? It has to be, right? So lets look at the bigger question. Was this to try and trick Spike haters into seeing it or is Spike no longer a marketable, ground breaking film maker after serving up flops and snoozers for a while now?
I noticed this is the first "Spike Lee Joint" that wasn't billed as such.

I'm thinking it has everything to do marketing. It seems like his most traditional movie to date... which I think is a good thing. Sometimes his style can get in the way of how talented he actually is.

I've been hyped to see this since it was a rumor. I'll be the first one in line Friday.
Last edited by The Ivy League Nigga on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Captin Planit wrote:Haven't been this hyped to see a movie in quite some time. I really hope he can recover from the heavy-handed mediocrity of Bamboozled.
he made 25th hour since then though.

i thought that was excellent.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

The Ivy League Nigga wrote:I noticed this is the first "Spike Lee Joint" that wasn't billed as such.
I dont know, I seem to remember seeing "A Spike Lee joint" at the end of the trailer....I mean, I dont think anybody said it outloud, but I coulda swore I saw it. Maybe not. Gonna have to check it again

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
Captin Planit wrote:Haven't been this hyped to see a movie in quite some time. I really hope he can recover from the heavy-handed mediocrity of Bamboozled.
he made 25th hour since then though.

i thought that was excellent.
Damn, can't believe I forgot about that... that wasn't bad. I still expect better.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

by my homie ebert

Spike Lee's "Inside Man" has a detective tell a bank robber: "You saw 'Dog Day Afternoon.' You're stalling." The problem is, we've seen "Dog Day Afternoon," and Lee is stalling. Here is a thriller that's curiously reluctant to get to the payoff, and when it does, we see why: We can't accept the motive and method of the bank robbery, we can't believe in one character and can't understand another, and if a man was old enough in the early 1940s to play an important wartime role, how old would he be now? Ninety-five? He might still be chairman of the bank he founded, but would he look like Christopher Plummer?

To give the movie its due, many of these same questions occur to the hero, Det. Keith Frazier. He is played by Denzel Washington as a cross between a street cop and one of those armchair sleuths who sees through a crime and patiently explains it to his inferiors. Frazier is early on the scene after four armed robbers invade a Wall Street bank, take hostages, and start issuing demands. As the crisis drags on, Frazier realizes the guys inside don't want their demands to be met; they're stalling. But why?

The robbers are led by Clive Owen, who spends most of the movie wearing a mask. Since we see him in the first shot of the film, talking about the crime in the past tense, we know he won't be killed. What we wonder is where he studied the craft of bank robbery. His gang walks in, bolts the door, has everyone lie flat on the floor, and does all the usual stuff like leaping over teller partitions and intimidating weeping customers. They also throw around completely unnecessary smoke bombs, and the smoke drifts out to the street, alerting a beat cop that something is wrong. Did they want be trapped inside the bank?

I'm not going to go into any detail about how the crisis plays out. And I'm going to conceal the purpose of the robbery. What I must point out is that Christopher Plummer, as the bank president, doesn't look in his 90s. Giving him a mustache, a walking stick and some wrinkles doesn't do it. Yet we have to believe that in mid-World War II he was old enough to have risen high enough to do something important enough that after the bank is surrounded, he calls in a woman who seems to have mysterious links to powerful people.

This is Madeline White (Jodie Foster). She knows everybody. She can walk into the mayor's office without an appointment. The mayor orders the cops to "extend her every courtesy." Who or what is Madeline White? I've seen the movie, and I don't know. She is never convincingly explained, and what she does is not well-defined. She's one of those characters who is all buildup and no delivery.

I once knew a man named Jean-Jacques de Mesterton, whose biography describes him as "a professional adventurer, political advisor, and international facilitator." You can Google him. I asked him what, exactly, he did. "If you have a problem," he said, "first, you call the police. Then you call the FBI. If you still have a problem, you call me." I guess Madeline White is supposed to be the Jean-Jacques of New York, but although she purses her lips, frowns, and won't take any nonsense, she's basically a red herring.

The whole plot smells fishy. It's not that the movie is hiding something, but that when it's revealed, it's been left sitting too long at room temperature. "Inside Man" goes to much difficulty to arrive at too little. It starts with the taut action of a superior caper movie, but then it meanders; eventually the narration slows to the pace of a Garrison Keillor story on "A Prairie Home Companion," which is nice if you are a prairie, but if not, not.

The screenplay by Russell Gewirtz needs a few more runs through rewrite. Because the film was directed by Spike Lee, it is not without interest; Lee finds so many interesting details that don't involve the plot that we're reluctant when he gets back to business. A cameo involving a little boy and his video game is a self-contained editorial. A Sikh is accused of being an Arab terrorist, and you want to say, People! Listen up! Guy with a turban! Sikh! Not Arab! There's a nutty sequence in which the hostage-takers use a foreign language that has to be translated by a bystander's ex-wife. The performances, for that matter, are first rate; Denzel Washington is convincing even when he has little to be convincing about, and Jodie Foster is smart and tough as she decisively does more or less nothing. Well, to be fair, a little more more than less.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

for a guy who has been a thumbs up whore of late........that review was not what I expected....... :killacam:

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

I'm pissed that I have to wait till Sunday to see this. I'm thirsting for an honest to goodness dope Hollywood film that doesn't rely on CG superheroes or melodramatic ploys for Oscar noms. I want to this make a kajillion dollars and start a trend (but it won't).

Also, as much as I respect Ebert in general, he's been way the fuck off recently.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Brougham33 wrote:for a guy who has been a thumbs up whore of late........that review was not what I expected....... :killacam:

exactly, so what does it mean? that its really really bad if ebert didn't even recommend it? Or is he way off base as he sometimes is? Maybe Spike Lee didn't want his name all over it because he doesn't even like it? I'm still going to the 7:10 show tonight!

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

Just saw it, it was really great. I didn't think this movie was gonna have Spike Lee's usual social commentary, but it did and it all kind of ties in together. It was a little annoying and preachy like all his movies, but whatever. Not a big deal. The heist aspect of the movie was well done up until the conclusion. It wasn't quite as intricate or masterful as I thought it would be from the trailers, but it still worked well.

My favorite movie of the year so far hands down.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

ChristPuncher wrote:Just saw it, it was really great. I didn't think this movie was gonna have Spike Lee's usual social commentary, but it did and it all kind of ties in together. It was a little annoying and preachy like all his movies, but whatever. Not a big deal. The heist aspect of the movie was well done up until the conclusion. It wasn't quite as intricate or masterful as I thought it would be from the trailers, but it still worked well.

no doubt just got back myself. Shit was dope, those shots where they put the actor on a dolley was silly considering I thought Ernest Dickerson invented that shit? I'm sure Icesickle or someone will school me on it but I thought they were over used. In Malcolm X there is 1 and it is so brilliantly used sometimes I tear up just watching it... no homo! Anyways at first the document shit seemed bogus as hell considering
SPOILERS!!!

He could have just burned it years ago, I mean why in hell would you keep a document that damns you to hell and has no significance whatsoever? It really makes no sense, fortunately something else existed as well...

END OF SPOILERS

Overall fantastically(is that a word?) acted, directed and shot. Denzel is better in this than training day, what a sham thats what he got his oscar for considering all his brilliant performances. Oh well, check this shit out I haven't seen much that is out but I would say this is easily the best movie in any theater...

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

ChristPuncher wrote:Just saw it, it was really great. I didn't think this movie was gonna have Spike Lee's usual social commentary, but it did and it all kind of ties in together. It was a little annoying and preachy like all his movies, but whatever. Not a big deal. The heist aspect of the movie was well done up until the conclusion. It wasn't quite as intricate or masterful as I thought it would be from the trailers, but it still worked well.

pretty much yeah.

the "preachyness" was standard Hollywood style soundbite social commentary (although Spike of course addresses his issues and concerns first and foremost, and they are not typical mainstream cliches of positivity) and the way in which they came to life were occasionally brilliant.

the guy with the Turban was a GREAT scene.

the movie could have been a TEENY bit more surprising, it would be an all-time classic. for now, it just will be one of Spike's best ever, and one of the best movies of the last five years.

This movie already smells of potential 2007 token-Oscar moment... but deservingly so. Will they give Spike an award for this? It's good enough. Shit's really fuckin tight. The movie is a true pleasure to watch unfold.

I lick shots in the air for Spike putting in a scene with Denzel wearing his classic Muslim bowtie suit from Malcolm X. Good ol' Spike.

5/5.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Brougham33 wrote:for a guy who has been a thumbs up whore of late........that review was not what I expected....... :killacam:
real talk.

this motherfucker gives thumbs up to the biggest pieces of shit... he loses much credibility for hating on this. like the Toronto reviewer who HAD to lose belief in the story cause Jodie Foster was called 'Mrs. White' in a Spike Lee movie :roll: .

Haters.

this movie is fuckin ill. Usual Suspects ill.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Mini-Spoilers below

I saw this tonight too. Ebert points out the plot holes well. Despite the problems of Jodie Foster's character, Plummer's age (he does say he was very young) and the documents still being around (could be that he is still attached in some way) it was a near-perfect movie. If someone told me this would be one of Spike Lee's best ever I would have laughed. It was.

So many great scenes. The turban scene was money, the bitch on the cell phone, Denzel and his boy staring at tits in the interview room, the cop first at the scene almost letting an n-bomb slip. The Albanian yatch. Clive talking with Dave Chappell's son (huge step in making you like him). Great stuff.

It was cool that the older jewish dude was in on it.

8/10.