Dylan comments on Pop Music...

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

TeenageMoustache

Dylan comments on Pop Music...

Post by TeenageMoustache »

Dylan's evolution runs counter to the industry's growing reliance on forged images, synthetic sounds and boundless technology. When recording spare folk albums Good as I Been to You (1992) and World Gone Wrong (1993) in his garage, an engineer suggested he pin a microphone to each guitar string.

"It was the height of insanity," Dylan says. "There are so many layers on records today. There are so many tracks in studios, and producers think they have to use them. This is no art form. It's just corporate sound. Because there's very little there, you have to dress it up with all these tracks. For me, everything has to have a purpose or it should get lost.

"The beat stuff people play, that's as far away from real rhythm as the sun is from the moon. Those beats make people pose, but they don't make people move or change their lives. They're low-key and laid-back, and that's what popular music has come to. Even metal is ponderous."

He stops himself and chuckles.

"I hate to go on my soapbox about the recording industry. I'm sure there's a lot of good songs getting recorded today, but I can't hear them. I'm just hearing buzz. There's a superficiality to it which might be successful, but people forget about it real quick and go on to the next one instantly. I don't want to be a performer like that."
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news ... ylan_x.htm

Can't say he's wrong. I didn't get the metal comment though, but that's probably because I don't listen to it.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Dylan can say whatever he wants. Dude's the GOAT.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I'm sure the Wallflowers would appreciate these comments.

frank b

Post by frank b »

My sig's a quote from another recent interview on the same subject.

Can't say I agree, but I admire his crankiness.

Very curious about the new album. Love & Theft was the shit.
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

Icesickle wrote:Dude's the GOAT.

But, he can say whatever he wants. He has a lot more cred than 99.9999% of the people out there with opinions on music.
Last edited by MGP on Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frank b

Post by frank b »

Icesickle wrote:Dude's the GOAT.
This is a reasonable assessment of his status.
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

MGP wrote:
Icesickle wrote:Dylan can say whatever he wants. Dude's the GOAT.
:larry:

Name another performer or band that has A) made as much quality music as Dylan, B) has had as much influence on music and society as Dylan, and C) has stayed relevant through their whole lives like Dylan has.

HINT: Ill Bill is in his late 20s / early 30s, so he doesn't qualify for C.

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

Icesickle wrote:
MGP wrote:
Icesickle wrote:Dylan can say whatever he wants. Dude's the GOAT.
:larry:

Name another performer or band that has A) made as much quality music as Dylan, B) has had as much influence on music and society as Dylan, and C) has stayed relevant through their whole lives like Dylan has.

HINT: Ill Bill is in his late 20s / early 30s, so he doesn't qualify for C.
U2. And I think they've had, at least through Bono, more impact on society than Dylan.

Oh, and Bono can actually sing. If you even think about equating Bono's voice with Dylan's you're a lost cause.

Go fuck yourself.

mud

Post by mud »

neil young>dylan
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

The new album is tremendous and the sound is not what I expected at all.

As far as overall musical quality/importance/influence/how much I like them-ness, I put Dylan and Costello at the top of my list.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

MGP wrote:
U2. And I think they've had, at least through Bono, more impact on society than Dylan.

Oh, and Bono can actually sing. If you even think about equating Bono's voice with Dylan's you're a lost cause.

Go fuck yourself.
:rolls eyes and turns to talk to the rest of the board:

"This wigga didn't just say that U2's better than Dylan, did he? He did?!"

Shit man; I like U2 and all, but you're out of your fucking mind. Sinn Fein and all that, but let's be real.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

mud wrote:neil young>dylan
I can accept that. Woody Guthrie, Coltrane, Miles Davis, Led Zepplin, or John Lennon are some other options.

frank b

Post by frank b »

MGP wrote:Bono
:lol:

FreshShabazz

Post by FreshShabazz »

"the hardest thing is to forgive, but God does/ even if you've murdered and robbed, yeah it's wrong, but God loves/ take one step towards him, he takes two towards you/ even when all else fails God supports you."

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

FreshShabazz wrote:Image
lol

The Iron Sheik
Loves Watching Lean On Me

Post by The Iron Sheik »

people should note that he's talking about recording methods, not the actual music, but the way digital recording sounds as opposed to analog.

his new record is fucking great.

i'm in the school that says no one has been more influential on modern popular music than bob dylan. and only the beatles are close.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

not even close, considering young himself counts dylan as a major influence (this is something i've heard him mention in an interview)

Saying U2 is even a 10th as influential as bob dylan is laughable, their whole early subversive/political schtik owes him so much he should get a dollar everytime they sell a copy of War. You can say the same about most modern rock acts with political leanings.

Don't get me wrong, he's not the one and only ultimate influence of all things folk and political in music. However the only one that can fuck with him in scope of people reached directly or indirectly is Bob Marley
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

mud

Post by mud »

drizzle wrote:
not even close, considering young himself counts dylan as a major influence (this is something i've heard him mention in an interview)

so what,
nas>rakim

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

mud wrote:
drizzle wrote:

so what,
nas>rakim
Well you have me there, but neil young didnt' introduce no beatles to no pot, that's for sure. think about how influential that one single joint was

mud

Post by mud »

the beatles are incredibly overrated, i wanna vomit when i see these top 100 lists with the entire beatles discography in the top 20

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

mud wrote:the beatles are incredibly overrated, i wanna vomit when i see these top 100 lists with the entire beatles discography in the top 20
you have the opinion of a squirrel
you're all about nuts.

Jennie C
FUCK YOU REGGIEBIRD

Post by Jennie C »

Philaflava wrote:
FreshShabazz wrote:Image
lol
He looks like Beyonce & Jay-Z's love child.
hopps wrote:i also think mindbender wastes way too much time on this message board. i think he should never come here again. seriously, man.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

drizzle wrote:

Saying U2 is even a 10th as influential as bob dylan is laughable, their whole early subversive/political schtik owes him so much he should get a dollar everytime they sell a copy of War. You can say the same about most modern rock acts with political leanings.
Without Woody Guthrie there'd be no Dylan though...

I like Dylan's music more, but lyrically even he isn't fucking with Guthrie, especially when you take the fact that he was HEAVILY influenced by Guthrie into account.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Icesickle wrote:
drizzle wrote:

he was HEAVILY influenced by Guthrie into account.
Not disagreeing with you here Ice but im seriously tired of this arguement when it comes to muscians and other artists. Sometimes the pupil can become great than the teacher/influence. Just because they were and influence or came first doesnt automatically make them better.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

frank b

Post by frank b »

Prophecy wrote:
Icesickle wrote:
drizzle wrote:

he was HEAVILY influenced by Guthrie into account.
Not disagreeing with you here Ice but im seriously tired of this arguement when it comes to muscians and other artists. Sometimes the pupil can become great than the teacher/influence. Just because they were and influence or came first doesnt automatically make them better.
:ohsh:

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

What an odd bunch of remarks.

Dylan has a point especially with the "There's a superficiality to it which might be successful, but people forget about it real quick and go on to the next one instantly"

I really dig the new record...especially the last half of the record. "aint talkin" is awesome.

As for people talking about Woody Guthrie? I mean talking about influences is one thing...using it as a basis of who is greater is dumb. I mean, Bob might not be making music if not for Odetta....don't mean Odetta>Dylan or the other way around. For me Bob is the GOAT...strictly not just because of the music but HOW and WHEN he did it.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

mud wrote:the beatles are incredibly overrated, i wanna vomit when i see these top 100 lists with the entire beatles discography in the top 20
regardless of that, you have to recognize their influence on music

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Brougham33 wrote:What an odd bunch of remarks.

Dylan has a point especially with the "There's a superficiality to it which might be successful, but people forget about it real quick and go on to the next one instantly"

I really dig the new record...especially the last half of the record. "aint talkin" is awesome.

As for people talking about Woody Guthrie? I mean talking about influences is one thing...using it as a basis of who is greater is dumb. I mean, Bob might not be making music if not for Odetta....don't mean Odetta>Dylan or the other way around. For me Bob is the GOAT...strictly not just because of the music but HOW and WHEN he did it.
yeah if we use this philiosphy then some caveman named gronk is the greatest muscisian ever because he started beating on rocks and shit.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Prophecy wrote:
Brougham33 wrote:What an odd bunch of remarks.

yeah if we use this philiosphy then some caveman named gronk is the greatest muscisian ever because he started beating on rocks and shit.

I like gronk's earlier stuff better. I have his first singly on vinyl too, first pressing white label, natchurally