Takashi Miike to remake Django - a western

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Takashi Miike to remake Django - a western

Post by drizzle »

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/008270.html

:naswtf:

not actually very hyped for this, i was dissapointed with Izo, i'd rather he didn't do genre movies (except yakuza of course)
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

I liked Izo a lot but this looks completely different anyways.

I'm worried about the fact that it's in English though. That's straight up unnecessary.

Hopefully it's ready for the film festival circuit next summer, I want to catch this one on the big screen.

Funky Butler

Post by Funky Butler »

dunno what to think

usually i dislike miike stuff, but for some reason this seems like it could work
Hemingway Novel Model

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the whole 'english' thing is kinda bothering me as well

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

stupid idea

stupid stupid

locke cole

Post by locke cole »

Izo was really good but mainly just because of how weird it was. I usually dislike Miike movies (Gozu, Visitor Q, Audition) but sometimes I really enjoy his stuff
i may have worn sandals in the past but thats because it was hot. - sole

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

locke cole wrote:Izo was really good but mainly just because of how weird it was. I usually dislike Miike movies (Gozu, Visitor Q, Audition) but sometimes I really enjoy his stuff
which ones do you like aside from izo?

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

You like Izo because it's weird.... but you dislike Visitor Q.

I'm confused.

I should give Izo another chance though. I got too hyped based on cast, thought it was boring and was kinda zoning out before it finished. I might like it better now though.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

^^^ had the same problem with it, so hyped for the cast and teh concept but had a hard time finishing it

how can a movie consisting of nothing but fairly well choreographed action be so boring is beyond me

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

I would say because the action was repetitive, poorly choreographed, and lacking context most of the time.

But still I agree, a movie of nothing but swordfights should at least be moderately entertaining and not a total bore.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i wouldn't say they were poorly choreographed, pretty standart japanese stuff (obv we're not dealing with LW&C here, but still). I remember there was one sequence where they even used a little wire action and some NICE overhead shots, which is incredible rare for a jap movie

while we're here, what' everybody's favorite miike? i'm going with visitor q

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Love me some Miike. I'll see anything he does.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

cas doesn't give a fuck about my questions :lol:

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

Izo's form is a pure stylistic exercise. It's waaayyy closer to Suzuki's Pistol Opera and Jodorowsky's El Topo than any actual swordplay flick. It's self-consciously slow and alienating and I'd never watch it if I wanted to be entertained, but as far as super-pretentious philosophical art about the Buddhist cycle of life and death, it's great. I'd definitely qualify it as the most serious and heavy Miike film I've seen and it's certainly made me respect him all the more for it.

I think people's expectations really hurt their enjoyment of the film. They marketed it as an action film because that was the best chance for it to perform at the box office, but it's a huge disservice to the film.

as for my favorite Miike, I'm going to be super weird and say Deadly Outlaw: Rekka. That film has ZERO intellectual value but is a helluvalot of fun.

lisixiang

Post by lisixiang »

drizzle wrote:while we're here, what' everybody's favorite miike?
The Bird People in China
LURK LURK LURK POST

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

drizzle wrote:while we're here, what' everybody's favorite miike? i'm going with visitor q
Dead or Alive. The first five minutes are probably the best thing Miike has ever done.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge

lisixiang wrote:
drizzle wrote:while we're here, what' everybody's favorite miike?
The Bird People in China
Great choice. I should watch it again.

locke cole

Post by locke cole »

StormShadow wrote:You like Izo because it's weird.... but you dislike Visitor Q.
Izo was quirky. Visitor Q was disgusting and disturbing, worse that Gummo. I wish I could forget I ever watched it.

The ones I like were Ichi, Dead or Alive and Fudo
i may have worn sandals in the past but thats because it was hot. - sole

Matt925

Post by Matt925 »

Funky Butler wrote:usually i dislike miike stuff, but for some reason this seems like it could work
You have to watch Happiness of the Katakuris. It's completely unlike any of his other movies and it's the only one of his movies that I like.

It's like a horrormusicalcomedy. Extremely weird and off the wall and funny and awesome.

Highly recommended.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

has anyone heard of a upcoming LONE WOLF CUB film remake...? I guess getting the rights to the film is damn near impossible.

Matt925

Post by Matt925 »

Funky Butler wrote:usually i dislike miike stuff, but for some reason this seems like it could work
You have to watch Happiness of the Katakuris. It's completely unlike any of his other movies and it's the only one of his movies that I like (that I've seen, Bird People in China looks interesting).

It's like a horrormusicalcomedy. Completely weird and off the wall and funny and awesome.

Highly recommended.

EDITED TO ACKNOWLEDGE I HAVEN"T SEEN THEM ALL.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Funk Docta Bombay wrote:Izo's form is a pure stylistic exercise. It's waaayyy closer to Suzuki's Pistol Opera and Jodorowsky's El Topo than any actual swordplay flick. It's self-consciously slow and alienating and I'd never watch it if I wanted to be entertained, but as far as super-pretentious philosophical art about the Buddhist cycle of life and death, it's great. I'd definitely qualify it as the most serious and heavy Miike film I've seen and it's certainly made me respect him all the more for it.

I think people's expectations really hurt their enjoyment of the film. They marketed it as an action film because that was the best chance for it to perform at the box office, but it's a huge disservice to the film.
i'd agree with most of this, def the El Topo comparison. i don't know about Pistol Opera though, to me that was purely a visual movie - it didn't have an underlying philsophy like the other two. It does have allusions to the same ideas of cycle of life and death, but i think suzuki used them more as flourishes and plot devices to stage some cool sequences than to actually get a point across

On a totally different side of things, it's interesting that cole thought Visitor Q was disgusting but liked Ichi which was infinitely more physically graphic. Probably a good testament to how much effective messed ideas and implications can be as oposed to close up nipple slicings