Fresh is the best "hood movie" ever

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Magneto

Fresh is the best "hood movie" ever

Post by Magneto »

let's talk about this. Classic movie. Fresh setting up all the dealers against one another was so well orchestrated.

"I bust them stupid dope moves." - Chuck-E
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

bradlizuck

Post by bradlizuck »

agreed

Thun

Post by Thun »

I dunno about "best" but probably the most brilliant and intriguing.

The "best" is probably "Menace II Society" which is coincidentally also one of the most idiotic movies ever made.

admiral

Post by admiral »

weird - i just watched this last night

i really love the chess metaphor throughout and how you don't quite realize what he's doing until it all comes together at the end.

Giancarlo Esposito is great as Esteban

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Paragraph President wrote:I dunno about "best" but probably the most brilliant and intriguing.

The "best" is probably "Menace II Society" which is coincidentally also one of the most idiotic movies ever made.
Duly Noted. Though I think Fresh is better. Both are excellent films to watch.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Clockers is miles better than Fresh; it's better directed, has better acting, and is working with much better script by Richard Price. A lot of dialogue in Fresh feels contrived and (no :omgracist:) feels like it was written by an out of touch white dude.

The Corner, directed by Charles S. Dutton and written by the writers of The Wire >>> any hood movie every made though. It features the kid that starred in Fresh, only he's older. You should check it out Mag.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Icesickle wrote:Clockers is miles better than Fresh; it's better directed, has better acting, and is working with much better script by Richard Price. A lot of dialogue in Fresh feels contrived and (no :omgracist:) feels like it was written by an out of touch white dude.

The Corner, directed by Charles S. Dutton and written by the writers of The Wire >>> any hood movie every made though. It features the kid that starred in Fresh, only he's older. You should check it out Mag.
I nver saw the Clockers, I've been meaning to rent it for a while though.

I saw every episode of that mini series The Corner atleast 10 times. And I watched every epsiode of the Wire as well. Both are tremendous. But they don't count as films.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Eh; true. But both are filmed like films and don't really count as conventional TV shows either. I'd take 2 consecutive episodes of The Wire over most hood movies any day of the week.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Icesickle wrote:Clockers is miles better than Fresh; it's better directed, has better acting, and is working with much better script by Richard Price. A lot of dialogue in Fresh feels contrived and (no :omgracist:) feels like it was written by an out of touch white dude.

I really think you're a faggot. Not in the figurative sense. I hope you get gaybashed.

FreshShabazz

Post by FreshShabazz »

the only movie fucking with it is juice.

"the hardest thing is to forgive, but God does/ even if you've murdered and robbed, yeah it's wrong, but God loves/ take one step towards him, he takes two towards you/ even when all else fails God supports you."

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

menace ii society

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Re: Fresh is the best "hood movie" ever

Post by intuition »

Magneto wrote: "I bust them stupid dope moves." - Chuck-E
i was going to come into the thread just to say this.

marinville

Post by marinville »

Paragraph President wrote:

I really think you're a faggot. Not in the figurative sense. I hope you get gaybashed.
I was going to respond to what ice had said, but this pretty much covers it.

Mo Cheeks

Post by Mo Cheeks »

NJ DRIVE

eris

Post by eris »

Dope movie.

Post by 360 »

Definately a dope flick. Not sure its the best, though. However, I think the storyline is one of the best.

pen

Post by pen »

i saw this well after i heard capital punishment so i was really happy to hear that opening line...

Chuck E is how i picture a young fat joe.

cool flick.
kardi, chocs, saukrates, dj moves, sixtoo, a-trak, jr flo, kimo, redone, john smith, escrol, bender, empire, hustlemann, muzion, aspire, moka only, prev one, maestro, michie mee, patience, theo3, the bridge, dj drastik, flight distance, t-wrex, dl incognito, osa, dj kaem, nextra, kelron, STAY, loes, moss, bishop brigante, belly...

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

pen wrote:
Chuck E is how i picture a young fat joe.
YES!

theaggravatedjew

Post by theaggravatedjew »

i really like this flick, samuel l jackson was good in his limited role as well. What did the star go on to do?

craig

Post by craig »

Mo Cheeks wrote:NJ DRIVE
not sayin its the best, but it is a nice pick. this movie seems to be under the radar with a lot of folks.

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

marinville wrote:

bent

Post by bent »

craig wrote:
not sayin its the best, but it is a nice pick. this movie seems to be under the radar with a lot of folks.
TAKE THAT SHIT BACK TO AVON STREET FAGGOT.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

bent wrote:
craig wrote:
TAKE THAT SHIT BACK TO AVON STREET FAGGOT.

It's a solid flick, but it gets kinda boring.

FreshShabazz

Post by FreshShabazz »

Clockers is a dope movie, yes... but it lacks the romanticism that makes a hood movie a real hood movie.

A movie just being set in the hood does not a hood movie make.

"the hardest thing is to forgive, but God does/ even if you've murdered and robbed, yeah it's wrong, but God loves/ take one step towards him, he takes two towards you/ even when all else fails God supports you."

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

marinville wrote:

Yes siiir!

LOL @ Ice calling someone out of touch.

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Boyz N the Hood then Menance to Society. Stop the East Coast bias yo.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

admiral wrote:weird - i just watched this last night

i really love the chess metaphor throughout and how you don't quite realize what he's doing until it all comes together at the end.

Giancarlo is great as anything....he killed every role he's ever played.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

after watching the wire all "hood movies" seem a lot worse then I thought they were before...the wire is truly that next shit...nothing comes close

nestle quik

Post by nestle quik »

Galvatron78 wrote:
admiral wrote:weird - i just watched this last night

Giancarlo is great as anything....he killed every role he's ever played.

even as malcolm x's killer

ripweblo
pork

Post by ripweblo »

blessingindisguise wrote:Boyz N the Hood then Menance to Society. Stop the East Coast bias yo.
y has only 1 person said boyz n the hood, people just sick of this movie?

gets my vote