Reccomend me some Donnie Yen flicks other then Iron Monkey

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Reccomend me some Donnie Yen flicks other then Iron Monkey

Post by Galvatron78 »

me personally i liked Iron Monkey 2 better...I'd have loved to see him go against Benny Uriquedez.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

you're crazy sayin iron monkey 2 is better

anyway....easiest to recomend at this point would be:

A very decent crime drama, there's only a few fight scenes but they are the best made in HK in roughly 10 years or so. Donny vs Sammo is the main attraction, but Donny vs Jackie Wu is actually a better fight. Very enjoyable movie overall. This should be very easy to find

other than that, strictly for him kicking ass check out: Heroes Amongst Heroes (probably the closest in action style to Iron Monkey 1+2), Drunken Tai Chi, Tiger Cage 2, In the line of duty 4, Legend of the wolf (keep in mind there's no good quality edition of this), Ballistic Kiss (more gunfights than hand to hand), Shanghai affairs, Once upon a time in china 2 (he's in this for a short while but it's the definitive Donny vs Jet Li fight)

He pops up in swordplay movies like Hero once in a while too, usually in smaller roles though - Dragon Inn, Butterfly and Sword, Seven Swords are all worth a look
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

yeah I've owned Iron Monkey 1 for like 10 years and it just didn't do much for me compared to other shit i had.....I was hooked on Biao at the time which I am going to make a thread about later.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

yeah, biao is the shit, shame he fucked up his back

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

drizzle wrote:yeah, biao is the shit, shame he fucked up his back
damn really? He has always been my favorite ever since Dragon's Forever, that no handed cartwheel over the guardrails is what had me, and plus that jumping backwards split over the rails also. How'd he fuck his back up?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the same way they all do, trying some crazy fall. it happened fairly recently, within the last 10 yrs or so, that's why he hasn't really been in a lot of things lately. I think the last big budget feature he did was Hero (1997), which is pretty damn good actually

Acrobatically, he was the most talented out of all of his contemporaries. He was also a pretty underrated actor, check out On The Run

The Drunken Poet

Post by The Drunken Poet »

While I was in Hong Kong over the summer I saw a terribly corny Donny Yen flick called DRAGON TIGER GATE, based on a hit manga apparently. It's nothing great, but funny as hell, and there's one or two good fight scenes. And check out Donny's hip street gear....

'Nuff said.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

You might want to check out Butterfly & Sword.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

dragon tiger gate was terrible beyond words. bunch of 40 year old dudes playing gay looking teenagers

The Drunken Poet

drizzle wrote:dragon tiger gate was terrible beyond words. bunch of 40 year old dudes playing gay looking teenagers

I can't believe you actually saw the film, at least my excuse was that I was in Hong Kong, my options were Dragon Tiger Gate or a dubbed version of Miami Vice (that film was boring enough as it was), so I stick by my decision.
'Nuff said.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i'm all over them 5 dollar vcds and bootlegs in chinatown, i'm up on all the new asian shit (except the Host, they're keeping that shit tighter than pre-98 brittney spears vagina)

The Drunken Poet

Well, you should saw it at NYFF or you could just download it (illegally), that's how I saw The Host.

A pre-98 Spears Vagina, haha.
'Nuff said.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i somehow managed to miss the entire nyff due to confusion with dates and complete lack of paying attention on my part

so how was the host?

The Drunken Poet

It's great for what it is...a big budget Korean monster movie. It would probably make my top 20 of '06.
Last edited by The Drunken Poet on Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Nuff said.

Lid

Post by Lid »

i downloaded dragon tiger gate, and it was funny. the fight scenes were entertaining in their own way. plus i know an szn kid who looks and dresses like the dudes in the movie :lol:

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

drizzle wrote:dragon tiger gate was terrible beyond words. bunch of 40 year old dudes playing gay looking teenagers
:lol:

yeah, the fights were dope tho. And word to Sha Po Lang(Killzone)...You can get it at Best Buy along with Seven Swords.

Donnie is also in Blade 2 for a few dope scenes(drizzle knows what im talkign about :lol: )...Also in Highlander 4 i think.

I also heard he did the stunt/ fight choreography for the new gay little movie Stormbreaker.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

And drizzle...that sig is fuckign AWSOME.