The Clash - London Calling Appreciation Thread

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Uh, Elvis Costello doesn't sound as good as Springsteen or Grohl in that...and that tribute has nothing on the original. You're hatred of The Clash is pretty abnormal, being that you they're such a heavy influence on one of your favorite artists.

And since when did I "continuously argue" with you? This is the first time I've gave you shit about your tastes since I said Dirty Dickens sounded like a thugged out Mos Def.

Happy Easter.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Icesickle wrote:Uh, Elvis Costello doesn't sound as good as Springsteen or Grohl in that...and that tribute has nothing on the original. You're hatred of The Clash is pretty abnormal, being that you they're such a heavy influence on one of your favorite artists.
How in the fuck did the Clash influence Elvis Costello? What?

My Aim Is True dropped in '77 and "Watching The Detectives" is one of his few songs that really shares The Clash's style, and that was around while The Clash were still doing instrument shopping. If anything, they were peers, with The Clash trying to play catch up to Elvis and The Police. I'm just glad that longevity went to the right place.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

blastmaster wrote:
Icesickle wrote:Uh, Elvis Costello doesn't sound as good as Springsteen or Grohl in that...and that tribute has nothing on the original. You're hatred of The Clash is pretty abnormal, being that you they're such a heavy influence on one of your favorite artists.
How in the fuck did the Clash influence Elvis Costello? What?
Remember that quote that someone posted where Costello said all he did was listen to The Clash for inspiration while he was writing Armed Forces?

TeenageMoustache

Post by TeenageMoustache »

I posted that. It was for his debut album, My Aim is True, not Armed forces.

I think it's perfectly acceptable, though, to not like an artist that maybe influenced one that you do like. I hate Jack Kerouac, but he was a big influence on Bob Dylan and Tom Waits. I'm not going to stop listening to either because of it.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

Deadguy wrote:hate this shit

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

TeenageMoustache wrote:I posted that. It was for his debut album, My Aim is True, not Armed forces.
Im done with this, but just for clarity... The Clash formed in 1976. Their self-titled debut came out on Auguest 6, 1977. My Aim Is True was released one week later.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

blastmaster wrote:
TeenageMoustache wrote:I posted that. It was for his debut album, My Aim is True, not Armed forces.
Im done with this, but just for clarity... The Clash formed in 1976. Their self-titled debut came out on Auguest 6, 1977. My Aim Is True was released one week later.
Maybe he got that Clash self-titled bootleg joint.

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

the clash, elvis costello and pavement all suck donkey rectum

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

ARGHLENE wrote:the clash, elvis costello and pavement all suck donkey rectum
:retard: x :boobeyes:

Steezel Weezel

Post by Steezel Weezel »

Yeah, I really can't tolerate too much from any of these artists. I used to like Pavement, but after listening to Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain again last week, I decided that I hate it. Shit sounds so shallow and pointless, plus Malkmus sounds like an annoying fag.

Icesickle wrote:
:retard: x :boobeyes:
So I'm starting to think Icesickle and I have very different taste in music.
Last edited by Steezel Weezel on Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

I don't see how anyone can hate on London Calling, one of few rock albums I can tolerate front to back.

sneed

Post by sneed »

Seiko Flossberg wrote:I don't see how anyone can hate on London Calling, one of few rock albums I can tolerate front to back.
one of my favorite albums ever.