Duck Down Records

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Duck Down Records

Post by Philaflava »

Maybe I'm harsh because there was a time I once thought they had the best indie label out (mid 90's), but for some reason it bothers me they continue to release poorly mixed albums and more importantly, mediocre material. And mediocre is actually being nice in some cases.

I guess I'm still holding on until Ruck and Rock can finally get their act together and make enough tracks to call it an album, but where has Starang been?

The last few Smif N Wessun albums have been forgettable and their most recent was downright laughable. The Buckshot/9th albums are like listening to John Tesh meets Fruity Loops.

Now they're signing cats outside of their clik like Special Teams, DJ Revolution and their most recent release Kidz In The Hall? What the fuck is up? Is Duck Down completely irrelevant at this point and who are the people buying these albums they're dropping?

I gave The Formula a listen because a few people said it was good on here and that was fucking one of the of the most difficult tasks I put myself through. The shit is garbage and I'm a fan of Buckshot too.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

I know some dudes who know these guys pretty well (:arrow:). They told me Sean P stopped by to play them some of the Heltah Skeltah album earlier this week. I asked them what they thought, and they said it was good, but not as good as either of the first two albums (well, big surprise right?), and their main criticism was the beats (and this is coming from a guy who likes 9th, Khrysis, Polo, & Illmind). I mentioned that I thought it was fucked up that they hardly ever work with Dee and Walt anymore. He said he brought that up to Sean, and Sean told him they take EVERY joint to them first. They always go to the beatminerz first, and that the Beatminerz just haven't been providing heat for anybody in the camp lately, so they end up going elsewhere. I don't know how true that is, but it kinda disappointed me.

I'm still hoping their album is enjoyable at the end of the day, and dude said it was good, just that he wanted it to be better.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Combo7

Re: Duck Down Records

Post by Combo7 »

Philaflava wrote:where has Starang been?

Who the fuck cares? You and I have each been better rappers than Starang for years now.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Combo7 wrote:

Who the fuck cares? You and I have each been better rappers than Starang for years now.
:lol:

I still want another OGC album. I know I'm delusional.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote: I'm still hoping their album is enjoyable at the end of the day, and dude said it was good, just that he wanted it to be better.
Yeah but it's taking them way too long to drop shit. Even a single. The problem is Duck Down gets a thought and immediately sends out a press letter saying Ruck and Rock are back and expect an album the end of summer. The problem is that was like two summers ago. The work ethics in that camp are horrid.

It's not like they're ATCQ where people may still have interest. They need to drop shit cuz after the sales numbers of the last Sean P album, they would be lucky to sell 2000 units of the new Heltah Skeltah.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Philaflava wrote:
It's not like they're ATCQ where people may still have interest. They need to drop shit cuz after the sales numbers of the last Sean P album, they would be lucky to sell 2000 units of the new Heltah Skeltah.
Interestingly, my friend also asked Sean why he's still on Duck Down. Sean said he had a few majors approach him, but he's actually still making really good dough with Duck Down, he said he's never signed a contract with them, but Buck and Dru have always handled the business real straight up and never tried to get funny with the paper or anything. Between the tours and the independent sales they're still very viable.

And I think you're overestimating how crazy people would go for a new tribe (not as crazy as they did for the last Wu I bet... which was not very crazy at all actually), and undestimating Heltah Skeltah's appeal a little. I would guess they could do 8-10,000 units pretty easily.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
Interestingly, my friend also asked Sean why he's still on Duck Down. Sean said he had a few majors approach him, but he's actually still making really good dough with Duck Down, he said he's never signed a contract with them, but Buck and Dru have always handled the business real straight up and never tried to get funny with the paper or anything. Between the tours and the independent sales they're still very viable.

And I think you're overestimating how crazy people would go for a new tribe (not as crazy as they did for the last Wu I bet... which was not very crazy at all actually), and undestimating Heltah Skeltah's appeal a little. I would guess they could do 8-10,000 units pretty easily.

I don't know Sean like that, but is it possible? I don't see them touring a lot and the CD sales are really bad. He probably makes cake from selling his verses, but I have a hard time believe anyone in DD is making really good dough at this stage in the game.

I also know if Sean is owed money, Drew Friedman is not about to fuck him over. Ruck is pretty good about his money from what I know. I think the only source of $ DD has made in recent years was the shit they inked with ESPN but it wasn't like they backed up the Brinks on that.

Yeah I was joking about the 2K sales. I could definitely see a new Heltah Skeltah album do like 20K after 8 months, two singles, 1 video and good "buzz." If word gets out the beats are wack it'll be downloaded by 80,000 and bought by 8,000.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Philaflava wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Philaflava wrote:

I don't know Sean like that, but is it possible? I don't see them touring a lot and the CD sales are really bad. He probably makes cake from selling his verses, but I have a hard time believe anyone in DD is making really good dough at this stage in the game.

I also know if Sean is owed money, Drew Friedman is not about to fuck him over. Ruck is pretty good about his money from what I know. I think the only source of $ DD has made in recent years was the shit they inked with ESPN but it wasn't like they backed up the Brinks on that.

Yeah I was joking about the 2K sales. I could definitely see a new Heltah Skeltah album do like 20K after 8 months, two singles, 1 video and good "buzz." If word gets out the beats are wack it'll be downloaded by 80,000 and bought by 8,000.
Personally I don't know him either, it surprised me to hear them say it. Anybody know how many sales Jesus Price Superstar and M.A.S.T.E.R. P ended up doing last year?

Snail

Post by Snail »

they're expanding the fanbase (Kids In Da Hall)

KitH are the best act they've got that can crossover to mainstream.

First album was fire and I have no doubt the next will be just as nice

BlingRhames

Post by BlingRhames »

They sell pretty well (sean etc)

Dru does a lot that :phila: isn't aware of...they're not struggling at all...
Sebastian gets busy wrote:look there is still a chANCE THIS WAS A GIRL

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

I agree on The Formula...that album is a fuckin snoozefest.

9th Wonder has become too repetitive, basically half the beats sounded exactly the same. He needs to actually switch up his style from time to time.

As for Heltah Skeltah, i'm not expectin any classic shit in the 1st place, as long as it has good enough production and Ruck and Rock tearin shit up i'll be satisfied.

Btw, Smif N Wessun's last album was terrible.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

double post
Last edited by Joe Pesci on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote: downloaded by 80,000 and bought by 8,000.
This is the real problem. Whatever capital they did have on hand/reserve is evaporating rapidly. No one buys records anymore. Even Sean P. records. And I think 8,000 units of Heltah Skeltah is a wet dream in this day and age. Seriously.

Monotonous

Post by Monotonous »

that little 3 records in 3 months thing from (roughly) 3 years ago was tight imo...i honestly enjoyed all of those shits

that Last Stand BCC album was tight...for a week...but they lack replay value

These days...no matter what label...no matter what artist...EVERYTHING IS PRODUCTION

Steve-O's album could have been a classic had it been produced by DJ Premier, Diamond D, Pete Rock, Marco Polo, Large Professor, etc

but i agree with ya'll that Beatminerz just been way way wack...i bought both of their "Album" releases...first one is tight...second one has 2 tight songs

they just not making that fire anymore...fucks up the whole crew who has relied on those beats damn near for everyones career

its just disappointing

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

yea I pretty much think these guys are done

Mock Duck

Post by Mock Duck »

Philaflava wrote:there was a time I once thought they had the best indie label out (mid 90's), but for some reason it bothers me they continue to release poorly mixed albums and more importantly, mediocre material. And mediocre is actually being nice in some cases.
totally agree. BCC was my shit back in the day
I was excited to hear Buckshot & 9th Wonders 1st joint and disapponited when I did hear it. Now alot of peeps I know claim the new Buck & 9th is tight but I have a hard time beleiving it and really not making in effort to peep it.
eat rotten mock duck

RMLondon

Post by RMLondon »

How can anyone anticipate anything by 9th Wonder?

Trash.

Snail

Post by Snail »

RMLondon wrote:How can anyone anticipate anything by 9th Wonder?

Trash.
I'm waiting for Murs next album :owens:

and Boot Camp's last album was Casualties Of War and Last Stand was waaaaaaaaay better

Prob with S N W's last album is they went and got some producers from overseas instead of getting beats from underground NY peeps.

Stomp was my shit tho

Joell Ortiz murdered that shit

and I agree about that 3 albums in 3 months marketing they did. It was like a long ass comic strip between Monkey Bars/Chemistry/The Return

Could've done something like that with KRS/Buckshot/Kidz

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Combo7 wrote:

:lol:

I still want another OGC album. I know I'm delusional.
last time I seen BCC OGC was nowhere to be found. I thought the same thing. Apparently the said "fuck rhymin, I need I construction job."

I agree with most of what Phila said even though I am a HUGE BCC fan, except I thought Sean P's solos were some of the illest records of the last couple years (Especially "Monkey Bars"). I have to say I liked Smif and Wessun's "reloaded", just nowhere near as much as their first album. (Cocoa Brovas had a couple tracks, maybe) I also liked the BCC albums "the last stand" and "casualties of war", I just don't bump the hell out of them. but everything else has been pretty zzzz'd up.

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

i gotta be honest...none of these new BCC releases have done much for me. the best shit any of em dropped was donkey sean jr. i liked that better than monkey bars.

Me Still

Post by Me Still »

My only input on this issue is that new Buckshot and 9th album is so fuckin soft. Jesus. Those beats are fuckin powder puff man. I understand Buckshot might be trying to get that "easy listening" hiphop market but shit. Enta the stage to this? Not feeling it fam..