Official 2008-2009 NBA Regular Season Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

an-also

Post by an-also »

33 in a q. thats incredible no matter who the opponent is

Juice

Post by Juice »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:just got word Diaw/Bell/Singletary will be traded for J Rich and Dudley

leaves phoenix thin tonight without shaq and backup PG and diaw/bell
Dragic is the backup PG

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Philaflava wrote:Rashad Lewis is taking O-Town deep in the playoffs.
Posted this 6 weeks ago. They're in 1st by a mile.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Philaflava wrote:
That's cute, but they'd be lucky to win one game off of the Cavs or the Celtics in a best-of-7 series

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

damn carmello was impressive last night. 33 pts in the 3rd quarter?!! :ohsh:

lovin that he cut off his gay little braids too
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

an-also

Post by an-also »

Philaflava wrote:
if you consider making it to the 2nd round far, then yes, Rashard Lewis is taking O-Town deep in the playoffs

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Money Gripp wrote:Terry Porter's not retarded, but the shape of his head makes you think "Hey, I didn't know Terry Porter was retarded...?!?"

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Philaflava wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Dwight Howard might take O-town to the second round in the playoffs.
what I should of said 6 weeks ago.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

CaPaBLe_KeL wrote:damn carmello was impressive last night. 33 pts in the 3rd quarter?!! :ohsh:

he cut em off not because he's not as gay as when he had them, but because he lost a bet to a teammate or friend in nba live 09

read it in sports illustrated...true stories
Nets 2022

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Reason wrote:
CaPaBLe_KeL wrote:damn carmello was impressive last night. 33 pts in the 3rd quarter?!! :ohsh:

he cut em off not because he's not as gay as when he had them, but because he lost a bet to a teammate or friend in nba live 09

orly?

I KNEW I WOULD REGRET NOT RENEWING MY SUBSCRIPTION...
but who actually reads magazines still these days
anyway?

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

CaPaBLe_KeL wrote:
Reason wrote:

orly?

anyway?

i like my subscription to si. when it comes in the mail, it is like a little sports gift. plus i'm a big fan of jack mccallum. he's the man. in a recent issue, he owned michael jordan so hard, it was brutal
Nets 2022

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

I need to get an SI subscription, I miss it. I used to just steal them from my school whenever they'd get a new issue, but now that I'm no longer in high school I can't do that.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Reason wrote:
CaPaBLe_KeL wrote:
Reason wrote:

orly?

anyway?

i like my subscription to si. when it comes in the mail, it is like a little sports gift. plus i'm a big fan of jack mccallum. he's the man. in a recent issue, he owned michael jordan so hard, it was brutal
can a niggy get a link or summary or sumthin.

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Cutino Mobley retires

Knicks guard Cuttino Mobley will retire from the NBA, a person familiar with the decision told The Associated Press on Wednesday night.

The Knicks have called a press conference for Thursday afternoon at their training center, where Mobley will announce his decision. The person confirmed Mobley's decision to the AP on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the player's behalf.

New York acquired the veteran guard from the Los Angeles Clippers last month, but he never played for the Knicks after a physical exam revealed a problem with his heart.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

blessingindisguise wrote:Cutino Mobley retires

Knicks guard Cuttino Mobley will retire from the NBA, a person familiar with the decision told The Associated Press on Wednesday night.

The Knicks have called a press conference for Thursday afternoon at their training center, where Mobley will announce his decision. The person confirmed Mobley's decision to the AP on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the player's behalf.

New York acquired the veteran guard from the Los Angeles Clippers last month, but he never played for the Knicks after a physical exam revealed a problem with his heart.
blessingindisguise

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

StressIzHim wrote:
Reason wrote:
CaPaBLe_KeL wrote:
Reason wrote:

orly?

anyway?

can a niggy get a link or summary or sumthin.
When MJ retired to play baseball in the minors, SI ran a cover story with the cover reading "Bag It, Michael"

MJ literally got so butthurt over this cover story from one SI writer from 1994, fuckin 14 years ago, that he refused to grant an interview or even offer anything at all to a story dedicated entirely to the bobcats/jordan/larry brown. In the 11/17 issue (the NCAA Preview issue), there is an article written by jack mccallum. since i'm a fast typer/reader, i will bless you with some quick quotes, verbatim down to the punctuation:

There are two others with whom the 68 year old Brown might share his passion and pain...(Robert Johnson) and a guy named Michael Jordan, the team's "managing member of basketball operations."

"Michael doesn't come to many practices," says Brown, "and I think it menas something to the guys when he does. I'd like him here all the time." That, apparently, is not going to happen. Jordan's semiabsentee involvement in the franchise has been an enduring NBA leitmotif since he came aboard...he keeps his primary residence in Chicago and still chases the little white ball with as much fervor as he ever did. "We don't really see him much, " says Bobcats small forward Gerald Wallace.

He has final say on basketball decisions, but he does not do much in-person scouting, and rival executives routinely begin trade talks with Rod Higgins, Jordan's handpicked general manager.

Jordan is ever coy, ever seductive, ever in charge of setting the terms of the narrative. On Nov. 5 in New York City, with great bonhomie and much backslapping, he declined a formal interview with an SI writer he has known for 25 years, owing to an ancient gripe over a 1994 magazine cover line from his minor league baseball days. He did converse informally, insisting that it was not an interview, so only this small nugget is offered: Sounding rather like a grumpy old uncle, he says he doesn't like the music selections of his young players.

Jordan, in short, has no apparent concerns that as the franchise's Main Man he is perceived as a Shadow Man, a here-today-gone-tomorrow-might-be-back-the-next-day executive.

And how committed is Jordan to the whole enterprise? Even before he reached out to Brown (North Carolina class of '63), MJ had turned the Bobcats into a satellite UNC alumni club, hiring former Tar Heels roommate Peterson ('85) and assistant coach Phil Ford ('78). Brown added Dave Hanners ('76), Ford's backcourt mate, to his staff. In addition, Jordan hired Fred Whitfield, a longtime buddy, as the franchise's president and CEO, and tapped Higgins, a former Chicago Bulls teammate....it does raise the issue of whether Jordan makes hard personnel decision or whether his legacy will be having made personal decisions.

Most of all, Brown loves the coaching, the daily dose of exquisitie misery that has defined his life. But to what degree does Jordan share that love for his job? The answer might determine whether Brown and his team succeed in Charlotte.

^^^
I skipped tons of paragraphs and omitted unnecessary phrases where there are ellipses. But the italics and wordplay are all Jack's.

I'd say McCallum :copy: MJ
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Sounding rather like a grumpy old uncle, he says he doesn't like the music selections of his young players.

:roll: @ Jordan

Jordan, in short, has no apparent concerns that as the franchise's Main Man he is perceived as a Shadow Man, a here-today-gone-tomorrow-might-be-back-the-next-day executive.

it does raise the issue of whether Jordan makes hard personnel decision or whether his legacy will be having made personal decisions

:copy:

i already knew MJ was an off-court douchebag though. i read jordan rules by sam smith when i was younger. he's a dick.
Nets 2022

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

IF YOU WERE A NBA GM - WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH 4 FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS IN THE 09 DRAFT?

& WOULD YOU EVER WANT TYLER HANSBROUGH ON UR SQUAD?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Pretty sure its been established that Jordan sucks at everything not related to putting a sphere through twine.

I still love the SportsCentury story where after a game/or practice in which Jordan rode Bill Cartwright to his boiling point (no Giles), the center pulls him aside, and says the equivilent of "if you ever do that shit again, I swear I'll break both your kneecaps."

And from all accounts of his character, Cartwright is about the last person on the face of the globe most would expect to say something like this to anyone, much less a teammate.

I'm glad he didn't, but I wish he would have.

PEACE

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

peanut butter wrote:Pretty sure its been established that Jordan sucks at everything not related to putting a sphere through twine.

I still love the SportsCentury story where after a game/or practice in which Jordan rode Bill Cartwright to his boiling point (no Giles), the center pulls him aside, and says the equivilent of "if you ever do that shit again, I swear I'll break both your kneecaps."

And from all accounts of his character, Cartwright is about the last person on the face of the globe most would expect to say something like this to anyone, much less a teammate.

PEACE
:lol: i remember that story. jordan is definitely a supreme failure at anything but playing basketball.
Nets 2022

an-also

Post by an-also »

Reason wrote:
peanut butter wrote:Pretty sure its been established that Jordan sucks at everything not related to putting a sphere through twine.

PEACE
:lol: i remember that story. jordan is definitely a supreme failure at anything but playing basketball.
:larry: He was apparently not a failure at fucking mothers

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

an-also wrote:
Reason wrote:

PEACE
true. i remember reading a story written from a guy who went to a restaurant one night with his girlfriend. jordan was sitting at a table with tim grover his trainer and some other cats/teammates. jordan keeps eyeing this guy's girl across a few tables and eventually summons tim grover to go over to the girl to tell her "MJ would like to see you". the guy who wrote the story wrote something like "she said she was really sorry but she had to go see MJ. I understood...I mean it was Michael Jordan. what is a girl supposed to do if Michael asks you to come over to his table" Anyway the story ended with the girl leaving with the mini-entourage and Jordan. :ohsh:

supremely fucked up lol
Nets 2022

an-also

Post by an-also »

Reason wrote:
an-also wrote:
Reason wrote:

PEACE
true. i remember reading a story written from a guy who went to a restaurant one night with his girlfriend. jordan was sitting at a table with tim grover his trainer and some other cats/teammates. jordan keeps eyeing this guy's girl across a few tables and eventually summons tim grover to go over to the girl to tell her "MJ would like to see you". the guy who wrote the story wrote something like "she said she was really sorry but she had to go see MJ. I understood...I mean it was Michael Jordan. what is a girl supposed to do if Michael asks you to come over to his table" Anyway the story ended with the girl leaving with the mini-entourage and Jordan. :ohsh:

supremely fucked up lol
:lol: I dont think there is any shame if your girl walks away with MJ.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

an-also wrote:
Reason wrote:
an-also wrote:
Reason wrote:

PEACE

supremely fucked up lol
:lol: I dont think there is any shame if your girl walks away with MJ.
naw, i'd break his knee caps. unless oakley was there.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i think we can have a consensus that oakley was the only person ever to son MJ besides his father
Nets 2022

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Why the FUCK does ESPN try to challenge the stereotype that sideline reporters should be dumb and hot?

It's fuckin' bullshit.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

chris paul is sooooooooooooo good.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:chris paul is sooooooooooooo good.
He really is. It's amazing to watch him play. I don't think I've ever seen someone as comfortable on the court as he is. It's like he already knows everything that's gonna happen before it does, as if he stole a copy of a test before he took it. Everything he does is just so polished.

He's the basketball version of Peyton Manning.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Hayzoos wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:chris paul is sooooooooooooo good.
He really is. It's amazing to watch him play. I don't think I've ever seen someone as comfortable on the court as he is. It's like he already knows everything that's gonna happen before it does, as if he stole a copy of a test before he took it. Everything he does is just so polished.

He's the basketball version of Peyton Manning.
all we need is eternalreflection to sing his praises and the metaphor will be complete
Nets 2022

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I hadn't seen the clip of Big Baby crying on the sideline until tonight! That fat bitch was BAWLING. And then Sam tosses the towel in his face...fucking epic.

KG trying to coexist with him on the court now is just as funny, too.

PEACE